Question on ammo choice for coyote-wolf hybrid

williaty

Coyote wolf hybrids are becoming a serious problem in my county and two of the nearby ones and I've got one or more than one that's willing to get way too close to the house. I first saw one moving through the woods in daylight just before the brush leafed out and then I had a nasty run-in with one in the middle of the night when I went across the driveway to make sure the barn was locked.

I'm limited to 5.56/.223 and I have M193, Hornady Superformance Varmint V-Max 53gr .223, and Black Hills Barnes TSX 50gr 5.56 on hand. I'd prefer to use the Superformance Varmint because it's so much cheaper than the Black Hills. I've searched on here and see that the Superformance Varmint is well liked for use on coyotes. Are the ammo considerations for coy-wolves any different? I'm not sure if they have a tougher hide and need a more barrier-blind load like the Black Hills. They're definitely a lot bigger than our normal coyotes. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Use the Hornady Superformance 53 grain V-max....they will expand on impact and put the hurts on a Hybrid Coyote plus they are a little faster!

I'd just use a normal 22 long rifle . Get a couple of them in it and they run off and die some place else no paper work that way

VMax anything over 50 grains should work just fine. I just started using 110 grain 30 cal for my favorite coyote load.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot.

Yep...
lol.gif

Chase them in a northerly direction (Knox Co.); I'll take care of 'em with my .243.
Think those things are a product of nature, or did some bozo breed them and let them escape? There are (legal) coyote propagation farms in this state, but I can't remember why in God's name they exist - fur, maybe?
Damned shame a person has to keep his barn locked these days. Welcome aboard, btw.

Last edited:
.270 and above for the coy-wolves. Hide is a lot thicker and they can really soak up the lead. Never seen one or pics of them, just info I picked up on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Kiyotes.270 and above for the coy-wolves. Hide is a lot thicker and they can really soak up the lead. Never seen one or pics of them, just info I picked up on the internet.

Classic...

That article had no pics either. I think that they are the preferred pet of Sasquatch's because there are never any confirmed sightings or captures.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterWolves are interbreeding with everything in sight around here. Saw this "squolf" this morning out by the bone pile.

It's on the Internet... must be true.

Back