Nearly "Blown Away"

Great story!! You guys have really getting hammered in the south. May the good lord keep you all safe. I hope I never see a tornado. I can deal with blizzards most of the time. Rudy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI whacked another one last night.

I had to run over to Childress for a HAM meeting, but the weather was perfect for calling. I left for the meeting early and called a place south of Childress real quick before I went. I used the juvenile red fox and coyote pup screams again. Pulled this young male in around the 13-15 minute mark. He snuck around a terrace on me, and pretty much appeared in my front pocket, just about 20 yards out. I hit the machine again and when he dropped down in the next terrace bottom circling the machine I got the rifle on him. Next time he popped up at 60 yards I was on him and let him have a 40 VMAX out of the CZ-527. I am really ripping those things about 3500 fps, and it splashed some, but he only got 15-20 yards before he dropped. I probably need to slow them down 100 fps or so, it is only the close shots that do it every now and then. But a dead coyote is a dead coyote, so...

South of Childress? What kind of boat are you hunting out of? I have one game camera on a ranch along the Pease that I haven't been able to get within a mile of for the last month. Hopefully I can get the 4 wheeler across the gulleys this coming week.

Keep popping 'em over here. There are way too many this year.

(pssssttttt.....don't forget to 'pop a pig' too)

Originally Posted By: Old_TexanOriginally Posted By: JTPinTXI whacked another one last night.

I had to run over to Childress for a HAM meeting, but the weather was perfect for calling. I left for the meeting early and called a place south of Childress real quick before I went. I used the juvenile red fox and coyote pup screams again. Pulled this young male in around the 13-15 minute mark. He snuck around a terrace on me, and pretty much appeared in my front pocket, just about 20 yards out. I hit the machine again and when he dropped down in the next terrace bottom circling the machine I got the rifle on him. Next time he popped up at 60 yards I was on him and let him have a 40 VMAX out of the CZ-527. I am really ripping those things about 3500 fps, and it splashed some, but he only got 15-20 yards before he dropped. I probably need to slow them down 100 fps or so, it is only the close shots that do it every now and then. But a dead coyote is a dead coyote, so...

South of Childress? What kind of boat are you hunting out of? I have one game camera on a ranch along the Pease that I haven't been able to get within a mile of for the last month. Hopefully I can get the 4 wheeler across the gulleys this coming week.

Keep popping 'em over here. There are way too many this year.

(pssssttttt.....don't forget to 'pop a pig' too)

Actually I think we have had more rain over in Wellington than Childress has. I didn't quite need a boat (even though it has been pretty dang wet), but a Bug Tamer is an absolute necessity! Clouds of skeeters, you better have every inch of your body covered.

I went back over to Childress Friday evening and made a couple more stands, and killed another one south of Kirkland if you know where that is at.

Where is the pic of the coyote you got this weekend
w00t.gif

It is on my phone, and I am a technological idiot. Not sure how to get it from there to here but I will give it a shot. May need to find a 12 year old kid to show me.

You might try emailing picture to your computer, JT, I find that easier than plugging in and uploading.

Regards,
hm

I don't have email set up on my phone, even though I should I guess. Easiest would probably be to upload to FB, but I really don't like posting things like that there very much because of all the anti-hunter crap that goes on. But, I am pretty selective about my friends on there and don't have that many, so probably don't have too much to worry about either. May be this afternoon but I will figure out how to get it posted here.

Ya... Just like I am gonna have to get my 13 year old to show me how to get that emoticon you send me every time you kill a coyote;)

99% of my pics I take on my iPhone... You can go to camera roll and send it as a text message to an email address... Then open it and save to your computer...

HA, you da man Jeremy! It worked to send the pic, super easy. I will post it after lunch. Have to go do a ladder test during lunch in the Swift with the 75 AMAX, that may be my new coyote bullet.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX

Actually I think we have had more rain over in Wellington than Childress has. I didn't quite need a boat (even though it has been pretty dang wet), but a Bug Tamer is an absolute necessity! Clouds of skeeters, you better have every inch of your body covered.

I went back over to Childress Friday evening and made a couple more stands, and killed another one south of Kirkland if you know where that is at.

As sporadic as the cells have been this year, I can check rain gauges on different parts of the same property and get readings varying as much as 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I know for a fact that the 'official' measure here in Paducah is way less than most of the ranches that I wander around on. Drastically different!

One of the places I have really good success with the pigs is northeast of town off of 104. (Actually pretty close to Kirkland and where I am trying to get to the camera that has probably been underwater.) There is a lot of CRP bottomland there that has mosquitos with 'N' numbers assigned by the FAA. I refilled a feeder pipe that was accessible from a paved road (well, kinda, my boots weighed about 30 pounds each after walking to it!) and thought I wouldn't need repellent since I was walking through a wheat field. WRONG!!! I made it about 30 yards before turning back to the truck for saturation in DEET.

I am a little jealous that you hunt properties north of the Pease. There is some really productive areas there, especially if you can get west of 104.

I used to have access to a large property north of Childress, right on the Red, that was also very productive - hard to get to and effectively unhunted.

My Father-in-Law has quite a bit scattered around the areas south of Kirkland. There are some better places I could have gone, but the roads going in were kind of sketchy. He has some more north of Kirkland as well, and some along the river. Mostly I hunt north of Wellington though, with some odd places strung all over Collingsworth county.

At my sister-in-laws house out at Quail they have had 26.8" of rain since the first of April. Wellington hasn't had quite that much, but we aren't far behind. Average annual for us is about 22" to put that in perspective.

I have killed two coyotes the last couple of months just 4 miles south of Childress on 83, one on the east side of the road and one on the west. If you knew where to look you could nearly see both of them from the highway.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXMy Father-in-Law has quite a bit scattered around the areas south of Kirkland. There are some better places I could have gone, but the roads going in were kind of sketchy. He has some more north of Kirkland as well, and some along the river. Mostly I hunt north of Wellington though, with some odd places strung all over Collingsworth county.

At my sister-in-laws house out at Quail they have had 26.8" of rain since the first of April. Wellington hasn't had quite that much, but we aren't far behind. Average annual for us is about 22" to put that in perspective.

I have killed two coyotes the last couple of months just 4 miles south of Childress on 83, one on the east side of the road and one on the west. If you knew where to look you could nearly see both of them from the highway.

Well, if any of the folks wanna let an over-the-hill, old geezer sit around in his fold-up chair and snipe the piggies, let me know. That is about the limits on my hunting any more. I get enthused and wander around the draws some, but not nearly as much as I used to. Besides, back straps taste better than those scrawny ol' coyote shanks.

I forgot you sent me the pic in a text... Here is the coyote you shot Friday;

Look at the dirt in the lower left corner of the pic... You can see how parts are still wet while other parts are cracking from drying out... A couple of them fit together like a puzzle...

Just my useless observation
tongue_smilie.gif

Thanks Jeremy! I got my pics across yesterday, but then photobucket was down so I couldn't upload them. But, it seems to be up this morning so I will post up some more pics for you since I know you like seeing them.

First up is the little female it took 45 minutes to call in. I got her April 2nd.

Then 2 days later I got this big old male, but couldn't get a shot on the female that was with him. Both were really big for our area. I need to go back and try her again.

This one I got back around March 18th.

Back