run n gun Ohio coyote! video added.

Rotty

Went to Ohio for a run and gun coyote hunt Saturday.

Coyote hunting here in Michigan is closed until July 15th and a friend down in Ohio has never tried calling for predators even though they are thick down there.

Myself and Joshua Mapes arrived down in NW Ohio around 6pm, the plan was a for a night hunt marathon.

After confirming zero on a couple rifles we did a bunch of scouting while we still had some daylight and made contact with a couple landowners.

We started hunting around 8pm, having time for one set before dark.

On that set we called in a couple deer and had some vocalizations off in the distance. We made two more stands where we had heard the vocalizations, but all we got was lots of racoon and cat eyes in the fields.

On stand #4 with the foxpro signing a coyote lullaby we had one come in and hang up probably 400yds plus, it looked like he was just sitting there looking and didn't want to come in. The lights from Predator hunter outdoors did a great job giving us eye shine at that distance and I.D'ing the animal, but we couldn't get him to come in, he made a large circle around us but maintained his distance.

Stand number 5 we were running the foxpro with some sounds by Tony Tebbe at Predator University and had a hard charging double come in at around 16 minutes. We we able to put one down of the two, a nice looking male. Loaded with ticks.

Fur wasn't bad for late spring, but man did he have a lot of ticks.

A quick note about this call set. We were having our host run one of the Night Snipe lights, while Joshua or I ran the caller (as well as having our own lights) and were on the rifles. Our host, Aron had never called for coyotes, they usually use dogs and run them or shoot them as opportunity allows. After having these two come charging in from probably half a mile (we watched them cross a fence and a road in the dark) we think he may be hooked, to say he was pumped is to put it lightly! we may have just created another predator caller.

Almost everyone : ) was tired so we called it a night at about 4am after that stand. we slept for about 2.5 hours got up and headed to another large parcel of public land to look for some calling areas. we found one spot that the wind looked good for and made a stand with nothing showing but the scenery.

after that stand it was approaching noon so we headed back to Michigan.

I'm sure we will be back to Ohio, there is a good population of coyotes down there, a three day hunting pass is only $40 which isn't bad, and add another $15 and we could shoot more game as well (fur bearers). next time maybe when there is some snow on the ground!

Video

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnitraForgot to ask,what brand of bipod are you using in the fourth picture?

I have a Harris bi-pod on the gun, and a set of Gorilla shooting sticks by Easton i use when not prone

Back