Scope Rings

I am looking at buying some cantilever scope mounts. I like the RRA, and the p-223, are there any other good ones out there that I should look at? and what's your experience with these?

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThe Burris PEPR are also a decent option.

Burris is a good one heavy as he** but solid around 8.5oz . Joe Bob sells the Aero also and free shipping what could be better. Lol

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThe Burris PEPR are also a decent option.

Burris is a good one heavy as he** but solid around 8.5oz . Joe Bob sells the Aero also and free shipping what could be better. Lol

The issue with the Aero mounts, IMO, is that they can take months beyond their expected timelines to ship us product. Its hard to tell a customer they 'may' be coming in later this year.

I have a S.S.A.L.T from SWFA that I picked up on sale for about half the cost of a Burris PEPR. So far I can't complain, its pretty stout and comes with inserts so it can be used with either 30mm or 1" scopes.

Just another option to look at.

i am pretty happy with the leupold one i bought but it holds a VX3 so the two kind of go together. the burris one is very heavy duty and may be overkill but i do own a couple and like them.

whats the budget ?

colt and warne and heck everybody these days makes one. seems to be the way to go these days.

if money is not a concern and you want to be able to remove the scope and put it back on and have it basically right where it was before you took it off look at LaRue Tactical http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-mounts?sort=popular or Bobro http://www.bobroengineering.com/browse/category/scope-mounts/

Last edited:
I don't really want to spend much over 100. I like the aero a lot but who knows when they will be in. Don't care for the Burris they just look big and bulky. Anyone have any experience with the p-223?

I have a Burris pepr Nikon m223 and a vortex cantilever. I like the vortex the best, lighter than Burris yet still built well but it's the most expensive of the 3. I don't much care for the Nikon just have,t replaced it yet. The Leupold also looks like a good one but haven't tried it.

Originally Posted By: kYoteSmokerI don't really want to spend much over 100. I like the aero a lot but who knows when they will be in. Don't care for the Burris they just look big and bulky. Anyone have any experience with the p-223?

Below is a pic of a couple builds I put together this winter, the top doesn't have mounts in the pic, but it got a Nikon M223 mount like the short upper at the bottom. The Black Carbine is a P223, and the FDE rifle at the bottom is a PEPR 30mm.

I'm not sure that I really recommend the Nikons in either flavor. They work and they're light, but they ain't great. One screw per side on the rings, which ain't great for grip and consistency, but more than anything, be ready to lap for hours. I have 4 sets of Nikon P and M 223 mounts, every one of them only made contact on the spindle about 1/2" wide at top and bottom when I started lapping... FOREVER lapping...

Comparing the P223 and M223, the two piece has an advantage of versatility. You can see that I had to flip the rear ring backwards on the rifle below, as the Bushnell AR eyebox is too big to fit on top of the P223 body. It's not as solid as a 1pc set up, of course.

F79B57CA-AE45-47D8-903E-7729134C5EEE_zpsnnuc1ivk.jpg

The PEPR is a good mount, albeit heavy. Machining quality was good, I didn't lap very long before I had over 90% contact. The repeatability for the QD mount has been better than stated also, it claims 1/2MOA consistency, but I've gone on and off and on and off even in the middle of groups and can't see any shift or drift in POI in my groups.

One thing to think about is how the scope mount is held onto the rail. What type of screws heads are used. Do you need to carry a special tool to tighten the screw heads. I use a allen wrench and stick it though a hole in the screw head in order to tighten down the head. Or I use a huge Craftsman Screw driver to tighten down the screw heads on the RRA scope mount. I keep the screw driver in the same case as the Scope and Scope Mount. That way it's there for me to use to mount the scope mount onto the picatinny rail on my AR15 when I'm not using my EOTECH optics. The EOTech Optics come with quick attack/detach mounts built into them.

I've used American Defense, Bobro, Aero Precision and Alamo Four Star.

I prefer the Bobro and and Alamo Four Star. American defense was machined nice but I'm not a fan of the vertical rings. Aero can't be beat on weight.

I've used pepr mounts and like thEm. I have both 30mm and 1" and have no complaints. I also used a pair of cheap Walmart see through rings for the extra height and even with those I was getting sub MOA groups out of my rifle. I'm no bench rest shooter with a custom rifle that cost thousands of dollars so anything below MOA I'm ok with regardless of price. My scopes are budget scopes so I don't expect super groups but for what I spend and how I hunt and shoot it's more than adequate. Try the nikon p 223 mounts and I think you'll be plenty happy

Ok so my question is why are some of these 200 dollars and some 50-60. Heck i have 20 dollar ones on all my rifles right now and do fine with them. just wondering how much difference there could be to make them so much more expensive

If your satisfied shooting 20 dollar scope rings then shoot em. The difference is materials quality and finish/detail work. most people who hunt/shoot won't benefit from a 200 dollar set of rings vs a 50 dollar set of rings. I will splurge if I have the money but if not I have had no major issues shooting bargain gear. I'm not out to get .3 inch groups nor do I shoot 1000 yard matches with custom built rifles. I'm confident out to 500 with my gear and practice enough that I won't hesitate to take a shot. Find what works for you personally regardless of price and run it. Some guys get a bit of confidence boost by buying top of the line gear and it makes them shoot better others shoot what they can afford and do just as good. I've spent my money on triggers and reloading equipmenT. I have a buddy who shoots a custom .243 with a swfa 3x15 scope and have out shoot him a few times with my off the shelf howa my reloads and a burris 3x9 scope.

Putting together my first AR. Why doesn't everyone just use a regular set of scope rings with a cross bolt for the picatinny rail? Weaver, Tasco, EGW, Seekins, Badger?

Originally Posted By: SenderoManPutting together my first AR. Why doesn't everyone just use a regular set of scope rings with a cross bolt for the picatinny rail? Weaver, Tasco, EGW, Seekins, Badger?

Because it's harder to get the scope high enough and far enough forward for best placement with standard rings. The cantilever models put the scope right there where it's easiest to use.

Back