Quick double

badger126

Figured I'd write up my other hunt on which I had some exceptional good luck - haven't had time to get out since my last write up, so living vicariously reading other's hunts on the forum until I can get out again.

Went out about a week and a half after I got my first dog. Called all the people I usually go out with and noone wanted to/could go so I made it a solo mission. Made my first stand in a place I had heard them a few nights before and had no luck at all. Couldn't get them interested or they had moved. So I went to a place half a mile south of the place where I got my first. There is a big wavy ridgeline going from east to west that I had been eyeballing and I decided to try it out. Made my way up the ridge, and as I was going kept second guessing where on it I wanted to set up. Every time I got to the spot in front of me that I had intended to set up, I thought I could see another better spot up ahead. Needless to say I walked a lot farther than I intended. Finally found a place where the ridge bulged outwards in two places and set up on one side of the valley that these bulges created. I set my call/decoy up 30 yards down the hill or so and got back to my spot. The batteries on my remote had been seeming low on the previous stand so I took a few minutes replacing the batteries and letting things cool down. When I looked up there was a dog across the valley ~100-150 yards away, sitting there looking in my direction. I don't know if she had been standing there the whole time wondering what the heck I was doing in her valley, or if she was staring at the decoy that wasn't moving yet or what. I started the call with a jackrabbit sound thinking to get her in a little closer for fun. She stared for a minute or two and then just kind of shrugged her shoulders and started walking away - I barked, pulled the trigger, and she dropped where she stood. I hit the Ki-Yi hot button on the remote, and within 30 seconds another dog came streaking out from some rocks not too far from where the first one had been. Needless to say he met the same fate. It was a great double in 5 minutes or less! Had to take pictures so people would believe me
smile.gif

Shot from where I was sitting. Can you see the first dog where she dropped?

Congrats man your on a roll ! My experience, take the shot whenever it presents itself as soon as possible. They disappear amazingly fast. You will find you will do well hunting by yourself also.

Good write up badger, hey the next time you see a coyote shrug its shoulders please get it on video. But I gotta tell you as you said I could actually picture the coyote doing that! Nice looking country

Back