Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 looking for opinions....or facts would be even better

I haven't looked through any vortex but own several leupold 1,2, 111, and a mark 4. I bought a nikon monarch 2.5x10 and can tell you it's night and day difference brighter and now own 4 of them. 2 in the BDC and one in the mil dot. You can purchase them them off ebay for $344.00. They retail for $399. This optics glass is clearer and brighter than most scopes I've looked through until you get up to the thousand dollar range. They only thing cosmetically to me is the gold lettering looks a little cheesy to me on them which I'm going to paint back if it keeps bugging me. I can tell you the 2.5x10's field of view is winder than any 3x9...42 feet vs like 32 so for quick close up shots you'll never have to be searching for your target. Make sure to look through one before you buy.

Last edited:
Just looked it over again. I bought a demo, looks new. No ring marks or anything.

Scope looks beautiful. Power ring is very stiff. Still waiting on the rifle.

In the box is what looks like a sun shade to screw on the objective lens. Cameraland wrapped the scope box with a new T shirt. Cameraland logo on the front, Vortex optics on the back.

Not really going to be able to evaluate the scope until it's on a rifle at the range, but first impressions are good, both of the scope & camrealand, as this was my first order with them.

Just mounted and sighted in my Vortex HS 4x16x44 on a rem. 700. Honestly I was disappointed,it would rate behind my Leupold vx11 or vx3's.Better than my Nikon Monarch only because I don't like the eye relief on the Nikon. Wish I would haved stayed with Leupold or Zeiss.

Originally Posted By: fredrick Just mounted and sighted in my Vortex HS 4x16x44 on a rem. 700. Honestly I was disappointed,it would rate behind my Leupold vx11 or vx3's.Better than my Nikon Monarch only because I don't like the eye relief on the Nikon. Wish I would haved stayed with Leupold or Zeiss.

Let me guess.... Clarity went to [beeep] after about 12x

Originally Posted By: coleridgeI had a 2.5-10 viper PST and was VERY disappointed in the glass. Especially when compared to buddies larger PSTs. So much that I called Vortex and was told "the image from the 2.5 will never equal image on the 4x or 6x".

I now have a 4-16 PST and happy with it but glass is still not quite vx3 good (on highest setting).

I like some of the features of the viper but if your wanting good/best glass, run from the 2.5 vortex!!!!

Did you have the 44mm SFP or the 32mm FFP?

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishthat's what makes this pace fun LOL

I recently was told the opposite, that this Vortex was better that the AR Mod1.

FWIW, Cameraland has them:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhs2-10x44

and they have some good videos on the page as well.

I'll be placing my order shortly with them, as I like buying from our sponsors when possible.

How is this scope working out for you? How is the clarity compared to other glass you use?

Well I don't have a 2.5x10 but I do have a hs-t 4x16 with the moa ret. it has the zero stop and target turrets. I really like the features on this scope but wish that the glass was more clear. I didn't expect it to be as clear as a scope costing twice as much but had hoped for better. One day I spotted a groundhog on a log at 700 yds with a pair of 10x42 sightron s111 binoculars but with the scope not so much, just sort of a blur. I think my Nikons ( the old ucc ) and leupolds are sharper, but don't have the other features.

Back