Spring Coyotes!

Rustydog

Who ever said it has to be 20 degrees and miserable to have a successful coyote hunt? Today proved that not to always be true.

I was invited to a fellow fishing guide's property this AM to try to take out a few of the many coyotes that are eating up his domestic goose population.

He warned me that the grass is very high, but see if you can get one to come out anyhow.

No problem, I found a dirt service road that divided the property and set up on a fence line. I howled for about 4 minutes and waited to see what would come out on the road to take a peek. Nothing! After that, I switched to a call developed by FoxPro called "Lightening Jack". In 2 more minutes, down the road as if on cue, comes a male coyotes on a fast trot directly to my call. I simply reduced the volume on the e-caller and the coyote cooperated by slowing down to a walk. A "lip squeak" stopped him in his tracks and I dropped the hammer. The dawg dropped like a sack of potatoes and the hunt was over.

Guess what? I prefer to hunt coyotes in 55* weather any day of the year. 20* is a bit too brutal for this old caller, anyone agree with me?

Rustydog

Last edited:
Yup....50-70 Degrees is ideal Temp for Me too,saw 2 Coyotes Wednesday and actually Called 1 in an hour later and missed!
frown.gif

It was a Give Me Shot and I flat out missed so I put the .223 away until I check it to make sure it's not off?Totally should have pics of a Dead Coyote now I'm mad as heck cause I missed and dug out the CZ Varmint .204 until the Savage is checked out...bad part is I realize just how light the .223 was and how heavy the CZ IS! YIKES!!!!

Last edited:
You probably deprived that coyote of feeding the family.
I would have done the same and mild weather sets are enjoyable as well.

If it weren't for the "Bugs" I love it if it was 65* 24/7/365. Calling in nice weather Is so much more fun AND up north we get 5 hours or more EXTRA calling time. Dead of winter sun comes up at 9am and sets at 4 pm short day mid summer the sun comes up at 4:30 and sets at 10:00

Fish and Game set out a camera at a coyote den. That pair of coyotes brought in 22 fawns to that Den.

Kinda gives me pause on letting them raise their pups.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanFish and Game set out a camera at a coyote den. That pair of coyotes brought in 22 fawns to that Den.

YUP!!!
We call them every week of the year.
This time of year we can use the "FUN" guns
6mm,257 ,35 wheelen, 375 ext...

I go hunting whenever opportunity strikes, but usually hold up this month til the pups come out in a few weeks.
The planes and helicopter gunners get a ton in spring here protecting livestock and sage grouse.
Good for them but reduces my chances because they can whack 50 in no time.

Guess what? I prefer to hunt coyotes in 55* weather any day of the year. 20* is a bit too brutal for this old caller, anyone agree with me?
YES I DO ! Was out last night/early this morning, 70*+ OMG i was over heated. Was that nice, lol! Dang it if i one didn't get the drop on me. He lives to kill some more. I will defiantly hunt more of this nice weather.

Missed two last time i was out and broke my killin streak. NOPE, wasn't the gun, lol.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanFish and Game set out a camera at a coyote den. That pair of coyotes brought in 22 fawns to that Den.

Yep... Me 2...

Congrats on your coyote

Originally Posted By: jetman Dead of winter sun comes up at 9am and sets at 4 pm short day mid summer the sun comes up at 4:30 and sets at 10:00

While I like the nicer weather I actually prefer a much earlier sunset at least during the week.........6 'ish is good for me. that way I can get any calling done right after work and before dinner and have the rest of the evening to unwind.

Last edited:
Quote:Guess what? I prefer to hunt coyotes in 55* weather any day of the year. 20* is a bit too brutal for this old caller, anyone agree with me?

Rustydog

Oh yeah, and 55* might keep the mosquitoes down just a little bit.

Regards,
hm

I didn't know they were that prolific, do you know over what period of time? Nature is pretty much in balance here, but it is a high density area for mountain lions aND other critters.

Back