Nikon Buckmaster II scope question

Rambo

I found the 4x12x40 with BDC reticle for $129. I'm wanting to put it on my Tikka 243. Why are these scopes so cheap? I've always read very positive reviews on them. Should I pull the trigger on one at this price?

Where are you buying from? If it is a reputable store I would probably go for it. Midway has that scope for $149.00 with free shipping, so if yours has free shipping it is a good deal.

I found them at Midsouth Shooter Supply with free shipping. I guess the Buckmaster II is the new version but I remember the older Buckmasters were a very nice scope for the money. I am also curious where this one is made.

They are indeed a Japanese company and I have four boxes from the old Buckmasters that say Made in Philippines. I would think that some concessions have been made to lower the prices on the Buckmaster II.

i was wondering about concessions also. It sure sounds like a lot of scope for the money but the lower price had to come from somewhere. I'm kinda on the fence about trying one.

That's a great price!
The Buckmaster II is a new optic from Nikon, just in case some of you are not familiar with it I have some info to pass on to you.

Extremely bright sight picture: Allows for high-resolution images even when hunting in the least desirable conditions
Fully multicoated lenses offer increased light transmission for dawn to dusk brightness
Patented BDC reticle
Versatile magnification range offers the flexibility needed for any type of hunting situation, from heavy timber to the open prairies
Generous, consistent eye relief
Precise hand-turn 1/4-inch @ 100 yds. Positive-click adjustments get you zeroed in quicker and maintain your setting even with heavy recoil.
Waterproof, Fogproof, Shockproof

Hopefully I'll get my hands on one soon and come back with some hands on info. for you.

Originally Posted By: Barton HegeThat's a great price!
The Buckmaster II is a new optic from Nikon, just in case some of you are not familiar with it I have some info to pass on to you.

Extremely bright sight picture: Allows for high-resolution images even when hunting in the least desirable conditions
Fully multicoated lenses offer increased light transmission for dawn to dusk brightness
Patented BDC reticle
Versatile magnification range offers the flexibility needed for any type of hunting situation, from heavy timber to the open prairies
Generous, consistent eye relief
Precise hand-turn 1/4-inch @ 100 yds. Positive-click adjustments get you zeroed in quicker and maintain your setting even with heavy recoil.
Waterproof, Fogproof, Shockproof

Hopefully I'll get my hands on one soon and come back with some hands on info. for you.

Where are they manufactured?

I do not know for a fact since I have yet to get my hands on one, but I would guess that they are made in the Phillipines.

It's humorous on occasion when someone tells me they don't want a non-American made scope. I tell them, as far as I know, there isn't one scope out there 100% made in the USA. Then I'll ask them what kind of TV they own,car they drive.....not that any of it matters, at the end of the day, buy whatever will work the best for your needs and budget.

The Buckmaster II is also covered by Nikon's No Fault Warranty.

I never said it had to be made in the U.S. I just prefer not to buy optics made in China if I can help it. It may be humorous when people say they don't want to buy something that is not made in America but since you're post indicates that you are on the Nikon Pro Staff you might should just stick to representing Nikon in a positive manner instead of finding humor in someone's questions. I think I will go ahead and purchase a different brand of scope since my question was so humorous to you. As a "Pro Staff" member, you have failed miserably.

That $129 price is a clearance of discontinued stock. The regular price on that model was something like $299 when they were getting produced. So from that standpoint, it's a fantastic deal. Actually a better deal than I got on mine, I bought mine at $149, the $129 price was for the 3-9x versions.

I bought 2 of the Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40mm BDC's, plus 2 of the 3-9x40's.

I have multiple other Buckmaster models also.

The difference I can see - my other Buckmaster models are finger-click turrets and side focus parallax, the 4-12x40 & 3-9x40 BDC models are fixed parallax and have the "coin click" adjustments. I think the sale prices are fair value on the Buckmaster BDC models, as the enhanced turrets and side focus upgrades on my "standard" buckmasters would typically account for the difference in price that I paid for them ($300-400 each, vs. $150).

I just checked, all of my Buckmasters are Philippine made. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all - put it beside a Leupy VX-2, 1, or Rifleman, and I've gone with the Nikon Buckmasters more often than not (and I do own Leupy VX2's to compare against).

EDIT: I'll give a bit of feedback on my experience with light transmission, since I saw that noted above as a marketed benefit. I frequently shoot at a local 100yrd indoor range that is VERY dark. The Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x40mm BDC isn't any brighter on that range than my other Buckmaster models, and I can't say that it's much brighter than any other brand that I've shot there. I shot it side by side on Saturday with a cheap $150 Bushnell AR 3-9x40mm (Chinese, vs. Japanese on the upper end Bushnells) in this dark range, and I can't say that it was hugely brighter - giving the caveat here that I've always found Bushnell products to be quite good for light transmission. I also shot two 50mm objective, 30mm tube scopes beside the Nikon 4-12x40mm, the transmission on the larger scopes was obviously much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamboI never said it had to be made in the U.S. I just prefer not to buy optics made in China if I can help it. It may be humorous when people say they don't want to buy something that is not made in America but since you're post indicates that you are on the Nikon Pro Staff you might should just stick to representing Nikon in a positive manner instead of finding humor in someone's questions. I think I will go ahead and purchase a different brand of scope since my question was so humorous to you. As a "Pro Staff" member, you have failed miserably.

Lighten up Francis. There was no insult aimed at you. In fact his post was completely innocuous.

Originally Posted By: RamboI never said it had to be made in the U.S. I just prefer not to buy optics made in China if I can help it. It may be humorous when people say they don't want to buy something that is not made in America but since you're post indicates that you are on the Nikon Pro Staff you might should just stick to representing Nikon in a positive manner instead of finding humor in someone's questions. I think I will go ahead and purchase a different brand of scope since my question was so humorous to you. As a "Pro Staff" member, you have failed miserably.

WOW. Talk about "Fail" ............................
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThat $129 price is a clearance of discontinued stock. The regular price on that model was something like $299 when they were getting produced. So from that standpoint, it's a fantastic deal. Actually a better deal than I got on mine, I bought mine at $149, the $129 price was for the 3-9x versions.

you are confused or have the scopes mixed up. that $129 price is the price for the new model nikon buckmaster scope. not the discontinued old style buckmaster scopes. i called nikon optics to ask about these new buckmaster II scopes and even the guy on the phone said he did not feel they were of as good of quality as the old buckmaster scopes (the discontinued ones).

The pictures on the "buckmaster II" scopes on Midways website all say Prostaff on them if you zoom it... Idk but they all look like prostaff scopes to me...

My humble apologies. My post was defintely not meant to incite or belittle. I'm sorry you took it that way. I was just trying to enlighten.
I have been posting on PM for many years now and do my best to answer question's that folk's have about Nikon optic's, I have even invited one member to a Nikon BDC reticle longrange shoot in MO.
Rambo, I hope you will accept this as an olive branch?

As for the pics on web-site's not Showing the Buckmaster II scope, I think it is to new right now. I sent an e-mail Fri. to find out if it is even available for sale right now, I'll let you guy's know what I find out.

As my Australian friend's say, No worries. Thank you for the reply Rambo. It is much appreciated.

As always, anyone with Nikon optic's,BDC,Spot On or warranty question's feel free to drop me a note and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

I just bought a Nikon Buckmaster 2 Scope 4-12 x 40MM off E Bay from Woodburyoutfiters NIB for $139.99 + Free shp.? People keep saying "DEER HUNTING.?" For this Scope.? I am going to mount it on my New Marlin X7 Bolt Rifle in the Rem 223 Caliber.? And use it for Coyote Hunting only.? Deer/ Coyote Hunting.? What's the difference.? As long as this scope does the job that it was intended for.?No matter where it was made.? For the price & Lifetime warranty.? "WORKS FOR ME.?"

Back