DNR burns work great for setups!!

Kollincoyote

I noticed that the DNR had burned a public hunting area that was decent size and had some swamp and slough bottoms with some trees in the bottoms also.

We finally got a day where the wind was right and Dakotaboy and I could go try to setup on an evening hunt and try it out.

Here's what it looked like

After a few howls I noticed 2 coyotes had came out of the brush to our right about 200 yards away. I asked Dakotaboy if he had seen them and he said yes. Both coyotes actually ended up laying down and looking our way so movement had to be kept at a minimum is we wanted them closer.

After a little enticing both coyotes were up on their feet and heading our way!!

Of course there was a little hill in front of us as we knew they were going to dissappear for a bit then pop over the hill about 60 yards away. I said "you take the one on the right and I'll take the left one."

Well they both came over the small hill at the same time and the right one stopped for a shot.. BOOM. Thwapp. Dakotaboy smacks his and mine continues to kick it into high gear and I fired 8 times at it weaving through the country and never did catch up!! DANG! Oh well more for seed right??

Here's the hero pic..

don't be to hard on yourself Mort.....i'm a pro at leaving some for seed
smile.gif

did ya get the male or female??
if the female, get back out and try for the male. he'll be looking for her
wink.gif
wink.gif

we'll never know what the other one was, but the male we shot was the most aggressive responding to the call.
Too bad my side stopped first . Kollin said we needed the 20 shot clips, guess we should have packed em!

we'll never know what the other one was, but the male we shot was the most aggressive responding to the call.
Too bad my side stopped first . Kollin said we needed the 20 shot clips, guess we should have packed em!

Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunter
thumbup1.gif
I haven't been out since March but it's really tempting. Nice work.

Honestly your missing out on a great time of year. Coyotes are extremely territorial this time of the year.. If you know where they are (by hearing them howl at night, or someone else telling you they heard em)... Go get em!! The coyotes will more than likely be around.. piss em off and get ready!!

I'm still on the fence about shooting them this time of year. Every time I talk myself into going out I think maybe I should wait till July or later. I hear them howling right across the road a lot of nights, and even seen on in the pasture on my way home from work one day.

Back