New FOXPRO howler?

I thought the howler looked a lot like a molded howler that Loren Reese used to make. He may still make it, and it was an easy to blow, good sounding unit.

Thanks for posting that. Just like I remembered it. It was as easy to blow as any howler I have seen, and had great sound. I remember Loren doing some molding work for Rich Cronk on his Killer Calls, and it was always top shelf.

Originally Posted By: bearmanricJoe didn't make this Howler Seeing spots did. Rick

Yep,some of the best work you'll find too.I wish I was lucky enough
to own one of those horns.Although I'm pretty sure I still have the plastic one
kickin around here someplace..

This year, we are completely changing our hand call lineup. The only hand calls remaining from our old lineup will be the Premium series, to include the BackStabber, Grand Slam, Griz-n-Grey, and the FurShaker. The Skyote, Lil' Skyote, Woodsman, Lil' Woodsman, and Pied Piper are all being replaced with new calls. In addition, we are adding a howler to our lineup. The one in the pic that you are referring to is the first prototype. It is painted, which gives it more of the "cheesy" appearance you are referring to. This howler will have interchangeable mouth pieces included with it, to include a latex howler, a toneboard howler, and a removable throat to allow you to just use it as a meagaphone for a reeded mouth call, which will also be included in the package. I will post some pics of the rest of the line at a later time. The new calls will be available early fall.

Mike Dillon

Interesting.

As for the KO howlers, yep, Kent made both of the original buffalo horn howlers that those were molded from.
In fact, it was my understanding (from Kent), that the 2nd one, with the turkey on it...was one of the many calls that got caught up in the May '07 tornado that wiped out his place.
If I remember correctly, that call was found about 1 mile away, in a pasture. And was one of the few that were found.

Although I was never lucky enough to get one of Kent's "fancy" horn howlers, I do have one of his "plain" ones, along with a few other distress calls he made when he was a HOB here.
I was also fortunate enough to get some 1st-hand instructions from him on building horn howlers, when I got started.

I haven't seen or talked to Kent for several years now...even though the last I knew he was only living about 25 miles from me.
(Changed his phone #, and never seems to be home whenever I try to stop by.)

But, back to FoxPro....I will be watching for the new releases.
I always like to see what's new in our sport!!

I think the closed reed antler in the picture is one of yours Rick. I can't stop looking at those howlers,now I have to find myself one...

I had two different black howlers from Loren Reese. One was similar to the curved one posted in this thread. It had a good deal of shine to it and was extremely easy to blow with a great sound. The other was duller finished and much straighter, and was supposedly the one blown away in the tornado and later recovered. It was much harder to blow and didn't have the tone the curved one had. I look forward to the new FoxPro howler.

Where are these horns of which you speak Al,in the wind or do you still have them?

I just was messing around and made a clone of the production model except with a real buffalo horn,just needs to be polished up and its spot on...

Either a grandson or great grandson blowing them these days. That has been a good while ago. I believe the duller finished, straighter howler used a clear, smaller toneboard.

It was in the fall of 2007 when I had those howlers. I know I had pictures of them but lost a lot of that stuff when I changed computers.

Back