winchester model 70 25-06

Push feed or CRF? I just traded my Weatherby S2 in .243 for a 1979 model 70 in .270 win. I really like the model 70 rifles. My brother has a newer shadow in 7WSM and it shoots really well. I hope I can get this .270 to shoot as well as his does.

I'm in the process of buying a 338 Edge built on a M70 action. It will be my first Winny so I'm looking forward to it. Just don't have many options for stocks (at least from what I've seen)

I have a pre/64 Mdl 70 30-06, my nostalgia rifle. I've taken elk, deer and moose with it. Pretty versatile in the 30-06, it likes everything from 125 gr bullets to 220gn. If you please you can get the accelerators and put a 55 grain bullet out at around 4000 fps. Great rifle, my favorite.

Originally Posted By: ZzzThe new crf rifles are very well built rifles.

This is exactly why I purchased a new M70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM. Nice looking Stainless fluted synthetic stock model that is CRF, has a great adjustable trigger, and shoots itty bitty groups. I always wanted a M70, after reading about Carlos Hathcock using one in Viet Nam, but I wanted a CRF version, and could never find a pre-64 in decent condition, at a decent price. So when the new M70(built by FN) came out as a CRF, three position safety, and an adjustable trigger, I almost hurt myself reaching for my wallet.

I took it to WY antelope hunting last year, and shot this:

I REALLY like this rifle. It shoots both 130 gr and 150 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets into sub-MOA groups. It was not cheap,
but well worth it when so many good features come in one package...Including accuracy.
wink.gif

Squeeze

Just for curiosity sake, I too am wondering if it is a CRF or a Push Feed Model of rifle. The old pre-64's are nice but the newer post-64 Push Feed model rifle is good too, including the later Controlled Round Push Feed models (1992) that combined both worlds.

For clarification purposes, USRA re-introduced the full CRF rifles also way back in 1992 and called them Classic Models. Using CNC machinery to make them, production costs were lower and the CRF models has continued on into the FN manufacturing era. Modern CRF is not an FN era feature.

I own a newer Model 70 CRF Extreme Weather in 30-06 like Squeeze refers to in his post. It is an extremely good shooting rifle that is very pleasant to shoot even with 180 grain bullets due to its recoil absorbing stock design.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanJust for curiosity sake, I too am wondering if it is a CRF or a Push Feed Model of rifle. The old pre-64's are nice but the newer post-64 Push Feed model rifle is good too, including the later Controlled Round Push Feed models (1992) that combined both worlds.

For clarification purposes, USRA re-introduced the full CRF rifles also way back in 1992 and called them Classic Models. Using CNC machinery to make them, production costs were lower and the CRF models has continued on into the FN manufacturing era. Modern CRF is not an FN era feature.

I own a newer Model 70 CRF Extreme Weather in 30-06 like Squeeze refers to in his post. It is an extremely good shooting rifle that is very pleasant to shoot even with 180 grain bullets due to its recoil absorbing stock design.

Winny Fan,

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that CRF came back when FN was contracted to make the M70 for USRA. So I learned something today.
smile.gif
So to complete the lesson, who did the manufacturing of the CRF model prior to FN?

Update: Never mind. I found the answer on-line...Need to read Wiki first next time.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my post above USRA reintroduced the CRF Model 70. United States Repeating Arms Company. They bought the right to use the Winchester name/brand from Olin and they built rifles in the old Winchester plant in New Haven CT.

I own a couple of the USRA CRF rifles too including a Model 70 stainless FW in 270 Win that is an absolute tack driver in a relatively light weight hunting rifle. I also own a USRA push feed varmint rifle in 22-250 that is an excellent PD rifle. USRA made good rifles up until near their end when quality fell off badly months before USRA went totally belly up and closed their plant. Depending n which side of the fence you want to be on, USRA died due to union demands or bad company management. Probably a bit of both.

Fortunately FN bought the brand and kept the Model 70 alive. Today they are assembled in Portugal. The one thing I like better about the old New Haven rifles is the old style trigger which was very simple but very good. The newer FN rifles (past ~2 years or so) now have a new enclosed trigger which seems to be good but I still like the old ones.

Dang, Squeeze, 23 years is a long time to not know that something you wanted actually existed.

I've got a M70 sporter in .25-06rem. It very well may be my most accurate rifle.

Unfortunately this particular rifle has been haunted by more than it's fair share of gremlins and just plain bad luck.

While mounting the scope a sliver of metal broke off from the mount base screw and imbedded into my finger. Once after unloading it I laid it on my bed and went to drop the cartridges next to it, one bounced off the stock, badly chipping the finish on the cross bolt beauty mark. I sent it to a local gunsmith to have the factory trigger tuned and after less than a box of shells it came out of adjustment and would fire when the safety was disengaged. I took it to another gunsmith that fixed the problem but made the trigger pull weight heavier than factory and super gritty. I had the stock off of it at home trying to adjust the trigger myself and managed to drop the stock, putting a long scratch on the butt stock.

I finally gave up on it and it's has been sitting in the safe for a few years now waiting on a new Timney trigger. I'll get back to it one of these days.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan
Dang, Squeeze, 23 years is a long time to not know that something you wanted actually existed.

I simple wasn't paying attention.
frown.gif
I think one of the reasons I wasn't paying attention is the rumors of issues with the New Haven guns. I saw a couple of 80's or 90's M70s, and was not impressed. In my mind that probably substantiated the rumors, so I wrote Winchester off my list of new bolt action rifles. When I heard FN owned the name, and was producing the M70, I went down to the local gun store and fondled a couple. I got one on order after that. Now I am impressed, and these FN models are what I always imagined a pre-64 rifle would be like. Probably sacrilege to the purists, that I would say this, but I can be very sacrilegious.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

I simple wasn't paying attention.
frown.gif
I think one of the reasons I wasn't paying attention is the rumors of issues with the New Haven guns. I saw a couple of 80's or 90's M70s, and was not impressed. In my mind that probably substantiated the rumors, so I wrote Winchester off my list of new bolt action rifles. When I heard FN owned the name, and was producing the M70, I went down to the local gun store and fondled a couple. I got one on order after that. Now I am impressed, and these FN models are what I always imagined a pre-64 rifle would be like. Probably sacrilege to the purists, that I would say this, but I can be very sacrilegious.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Prior to about a year before USRA went belly up, they made good rifles and many people bought them and used them with great success. In the last year of USRA's existence, the quality was terrible. Likely due to the union labor incidents that contributed to the downfall.

Painting a brush of all USRA rifles being inferior is myopic at best. Rumors aren't reality. Especially internet rumors like yours.

As I mentioned I own several examples of those terribly made USRA Classic Models that are extremely well built rifles. In fact, they are better rifles from an accuracy point of view than the pre-64's, of which I also own a few. But I doubt that kind of factual information fits your agenda.

Its funny to read some of the "factual" trivia on the web, but many people today look at FN rifles and lament the passing of the "better" New Haven rifles, in complete contrast to your story. Maybe it's Winchesters version of which Remington trigger is best.

BTW - until the Browning Baco/FN SC rifles became fact, Winchesters had been made in New Haven for many many years, long prior to USRA. Even the pre-64's were made there.

Glad you got bumped up into the modern world. Almost 25 years is a lot of time to be out of touch.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

Rumors aren't reality. Especially internet rumors like yours.

But I doubt that kind of factual information fits your agenda.

Glad you got bumped up into the modern world. Almost 25 years is a lot of time to be out of touch.

Easy there Winny Fan, I don't have internet rumors, or an agenda. I do have an issue, called ignorance, and that allowed my to keep my head up my butt...Relative to the history of the Model 70. You are helping with the ignorance part. But I don't have an agenda. As a matter of fact I have no brand loyalty, or brand hate, for any brand of rifle. I did not like what I saw in a few M70s, whatever vintage, prior to FN buying the brand. And that stopped me from actively looking at M70s. Simple as that. When I did come across a pre-64, it was either well used, or steeply priced, or both. So when I heard FN was making a quality M70, I actively sought them out, and liked what I saw. Again as simple as that. I may buy another, but again, I may not. I am kind of fond of older Tikkas and Savage Model 16s, with that wonderful barrel nut that lets me swap barrels. I do like my M70, but if I have to spend something north of $1000 again, it might be a Sako, or another M70 Extreme Weather... No agenda, no brand loyalty. I do like nice fit and finish, a nice trigger, and sub-MOA accuracy, and I am partial to stainless and synthetic.

The one kick I do have against the M70 is that big flipping lever of a safety. I guess if one if having an adrenalin rush, from a cape buffalo, or some other dangerous game, it is nice to have, but that is a BIG LEVER.
grin.gif
I get the whole "based on a Mauser action" thing, but while they were re-engineering for a three position safety, they could have cleaned that up a bit.
lol.gif
Now where is my body armor!

Squeeze

Squeeze:

If my trying to get a bit of factual information on the table threw you off, I apologize. Still, run with your story; its all yours.

I looked at a couple of Model 70 rifles that I own and I guess I've somehow been buying the ones without the BIG LEVER safety. The three position side swinging safety has been a part of the Model 70 action almost from its inception as a modern adaption to the older Model 54 Winchester action, which had the older "more-Mauser-like" safety. It works great in cold weather and in tough situations where you definitely do want quick access. I guess I foolishly paid good money to have the same type of custom side swing safety added to a couple of full custom rifles built on 98 Mauser actions, but I'll sleep well knowing that I'm not alone in having done so. In addition, some people have probably, in your mind, foolishly paid good money to have the same type of safety added to Remington 700 custom rifles.

Just for the record, if you looked in my working rifle safes, you'd find a lot more Sako rifles than Model 70's, with a varied assortment of other brands also included. I will admit to having a special fondness for a Model 70 African in 416 Remington Magnum - for when its needed, "big lever" safety and all. Nothing else that I have works quite as well for those moments

And for clarity, the "Winny" part of my user name has nothing to do with the Model 70. I collect older Model Winchester lever action rifles beginning with the 1866 Model.

Back