May calling

Recon Ops

So, I went out yesterday and had a very fun day calling. In all, we made 12 stands. However, we only called in one dog (at least that we saw) and we missed a 275 yard shot on it. It was very weary. We saw, elk, pronghorn, and mule deer. That was fun too.

The wind was 15-25 mph for most of our stands, and we were up in the hills trying to find pockets where the wind wasn't so harsh.

I wandered what Spring calling was like for others. It seems like the last 2 years spring times (specifically May) have been very very slow. I wandered if there was something about dogs staying close to the den, not venturing out as much. I was hoping to get others' opinions and experience with May calling. I realize that some or much of it was the weather, but the funny thing was, on the way home we saw 2 coyotes right off the freeway strolling through an alfalfa field. It was raining heavily most of the way home. Not in the moment we saw the 2 dogs, but even still. It's a little perplexing to me.

Please share your insights regarding May calling and the patterns of coyotes when pups are young and in the den. Thanks guys.

P.S.---Here is our last stand after we left the truck and were already committed. Then, started the great deluge!

This is not my normal channel, just a channel where I stick some random stuff.

Last edited:
I assume you're not moving as much as you were in the video when you are seriously calling? That would make a huge difference. Just an observation. Happy hunting!

I assume you're not moving as much as you were in the video when you are seriously calling? That would make a huge difference. Just an observation. Happy hunting!

Population density is the key, as usual.

Weather, high/low pressure fronts

Hunting techniques-Wear a head net your WHITE faces are glowing like light bulbs,
LIMIT MOVEMENT-expect a close coyote to be on you within 6 seconds after you turn the player on. So, slow down on the "on" switch, and give each other time to get settled on the ground and ready.

Sit separate

know your down wind side

I have had some darn good luck in May, and by late July, early August it is great.

Since ever coyote pair will bring 20+ fawns to the den, I would lean on killing them all year long.

Back