Anyone ever buy from DPMS?

willy1947

I went to DPMS.com to buy some small parts last week.
I had not received an email back from them.
So I called DPMS and was told it takes them two weeks to ship parts.
I cancelled the order and place one with Brownells.
It will be here this week. So, I learned to check before I order.

I ordered some odds and ends of parts from Rock River a few months back. It seemed like it took 4 or 5 days for those items to ship out. I really didn't like that. Two weeks sounds a little excessive.

They have seemed horribly inefficient and cluster-flucked everytime we've ordered items direct from Freedom Group (DPMS/Bushmaster/Remington/Tapco/etc). We've never been impressed by their internal efficiencies or communication.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThey have seemed horribly inefficient and cluster-flucked everytime we've ordered items direct from Freedom Group (DPMS/Bushmaster/Remington/Tapco/etc). We've never been impressed by their internal efficiencies or communication.

That's why I buy from, Joe Bobs, Brownells and Midway. Always get my chit quick!

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThey have seemed horribly inefficient and cluster-flucked everytime we've ordered items direct from Freedom Group (DPMS/Bushmaster/Remington/Tapco/etc). We've never been impressed by their internal efficiencies or communication.

That's why I buy from, Joe Bobs, Brownells and Midway. Always get my chit quick!

Definitely Joebobs is fast, but Midway has been lacking lately. They have a cheap shipping option but you should be prepared to wait a week and a half. They ship quickly but the package transfers from UPS to USPS and takes forever. Usually to get from MO to NE includes stops out west in CO and UT. Never could figure that one out..

I used to be a buyer for a gunstore and ordered DPMS direct. They were constantly out of parts and I waited as long as 8 months for particular guns. This was back in 2006-2007 when things were normal.

I have bought several items from Joebobs and Brownelles and and have been pleased with both. Both are tax free and if you buy enough you get shipping for free.

Originally Posted By: kldad73I have bought several items from Joebobs and Brownelles and and have been pleased with both. Both are tax free and if you buy enough you get shipping for free.

and dont forget the free T shirt and stickers from Joebobs

i wear the shirt with pride and my work car wears the stickers.

Last edited:
When DPMS was 'privately' owned...It was a much easier place with which to deal with...Since they were bought out by a conglomerate, it has gone down hill somewhat...I guess that's just another sign of corporate inefficiency.....

This morning I needed a trigger and I called Joe Bob's.
The fellow told me what I need and saved me $80.
They shipped it this afternoon.
Guess, where I will buy from in the future.

First place that I look for parts for the AR15 is Joebob's. If they don't have it then I start working my way down the list. Midway, Brownells, and then Eagle armory. The last place that I would go is direct unless it was warranty work.

I used to order a lot of parts from Bushmaster, but they'd always be out of LPK's, so I'd order those from DPMS. This would have been in the 2003 or 2004 through 2006 or 2007 timeline. I never had much trouble then getting orders, but then again, I kept my on-hand inventory high enough that I wouldn't have to sweat it if it took 2wks (although I don't recall any shipments ever taking that long).

I've tried a few times to order from DPMS and Bushmaster, and I can say it's definitely a lot slower than the good old days. I never order from their website now - I call and ask about inventory, which tends to take more time out of my day, but also tends to get me the product - if they have it ready to ship - in about half of the time.

I think part of the issue with these manufacturers tends to be in how they structure their business and inventory management systems. So many manufacturers are going to JITD, and manufacturer-direct consumers end up suffering from it, since that segment makes up such a small percentage of their volume. If brownells or Midway get a run on an item - also running JITD - then they slam the OEM with a non-standard order, either of a larger volume or at a shorter interval than their standard order flow stream. The OEM's will typically prioritize that order, let alone throw government contracts into the mix, so the consumer direct stream is left sucking hind teat. Many companies with low percentage consumer direct volume also still don't run live inventory management for their websites, so there's a lot more hand moving to make a one-off consumer sale happen than there really should be.

While on the topic of b!tching about delivery vs. order timing, PSA is absolutely terrible. They also have a 2wk window from order to ship, and their standard ship method is none-too-speedy. RRA is a little slow, but not unreasonably so. Ruger is also a bit slow, AND they use a slow shipping method, both on their parts/service side and their consumer product online store side. RRA and Ruger tend to take a week to 10days from order date to delivery. Reasonable, but still very slow, considering that Midway and Brownells will get you a product with standard shipping in half of that time. Joebob's is ridiculous on shipping speed. Granted, I live in state, so they don't ship very far. I'm only 180mi from Joebob's, 314mi from Midway, and 479 from Brownells. I've ordered twice from Joebob's, once was a saturday that arrived monday, once was a late thursday night that arrived Saturday - NOT overnighted, just standard shipping, which is FREE for orders over $90 (maybe $99, I forget).

The only downside for me to order from Joebob's over the others is that they take the bogey on my in-state sales tax. For orders over $200, even with free shipping from Joebobs, the tax starts to outweigh the shipping costs from Brownells or Midway. Luckily, Joebob's often has a slightly better price on parts to make up the difference.

Back