Load data for a LR 308?

Scalloper

My son bought a LR-308. I bought some Berger 155gr VLD hunting bullets, 150gr Nosler Partition and Lapua brass. I also picked up some Hodgdon CFE 223 powder. Any of you load for a LR-308? Any starting loads would be greatly appreciated.

all of my test stuff for the LR308 has been on a 16" carbine gas upper that happens to like 168gr amax. Have gotten similar results with both varget and H4895, multiple loads that produce sub 3/4" groups at 100 yds. Likewise for the 165gr SST.

working on putting togther a rifle length gassed upper - 20" mega barrel. Hopeing it'll help me fine tune and work out the lock-time bugs i was fighting with the carbine gassed upper.

tell us a little more about your son's gun and i'm sure you'll get lots of information back - barrel length, etc
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ScalloperMy son bought a LR-308. I bought some Berger 155gr VLD hunting bullets, 150gr Nosler Partition and Lapua brass. I also picked up some Hodgdon CFE 223 powder. Any of you load for a LR-308? Any starting loads would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how your son's LR-308 shoots, but mine shoots the 150 gr. bullets I have tried, like a shotgun. Saying it is 2.5 MOA rifle would be kind. I have tried a bunch of different powders, and a few different 150 gr. bullets, and no luck tightening the groups. I have a friend that owns a similar rifle, and his likes 165-168 gr. bullets, by putting them into sub-MOA groups, so that will be my next attempt. If that doesn't get to 1 MOA, it will either be sold or re-barreled. Given I have four other AR style rifles, all shooting sub-MOA, this one had been a real disappointment. Good Luck with your son's.

Looks nice...Shoots like crap.

Squeeze

My lr 308 liked 168 matchkings with 43 grains of varget. It also ate 175 matchkings with 41.8 of imr4064. My lr308 never liked any 150 grain bullets so i hope you find a load.

Last edited:
44.0 grains of IMR4064 and 168 grain match kings will put your eye out from a long ways away. I am getting 1/3 inch groups at a 100 and 200.

Thanks for all of the help. I don't have the rifle here but he is bringing it here this weekend. It seems that many of you have had better luck with heavier bullets. Maybe I should consider returning these to Cabala's and getting some 168's?

I will add more details about the rifle when he brings it here, but I believe its just like the one pictured above. He was the DSM for his unit and stated if this gun does not group well he will buy a 20" match barrel. Any suggestions on a barrel?

Back