New to calling, where to begin?

bluegill74

I am new to the forum and to predator hunting/calling. I live in north Florida and we seem to have a good population of coyotes in my hunting club and areas around my house. I am interested in learning to call them in for hunting. I just read the regulations on Florida Fish and Games website and they state that we cant use recorded sounds. I have seen the handmade calls on this site and they really caught my eye. Being new, can you recommend a few tones that you would say would be necessary for me to get started with hunting in the pine flat-woods and agricultural fields of north Florida. Any good tutorials on how to use them to produce the proper sound and when to use which one at what time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to learning as much as i can and getting into calling in coyotes.

there are calls made and sold on this forum. I bought on line a DVD that I use a lot. Mastering The Art-Predator Hunting by Randy Anderson-its a Primos hunting calls DVD .its very helpful and explaines well.they show a lot of mouth blown calls and how to use them.welcome and good luck

A lot of good call makers have calls listed in custom calls. I have a couple I got from catwhacker that have been very productive. Rabbit distress. Made out of antler. I like em.

Predator hunting :
Predators, especially coyotes can cover a lot of ground while out hunting. They might not be there when you are. When the guys refer to how many sets they have done, that's how many stops they have put in stopping and hunting different areas to be successful. This sport involves a lot of effort, hunting for Wiley.

You will be surprised where they will turn up if you stick with it that long. Scouting, persistence, patience & putting in the long hours of learning how to hunt the hunter will make you be a successful predator hunter. Be sure to check out " search " in the top banner, just type in what you want to learn about. Many years of knowledge stored there. Good luck !

Welcome to PM & HUNTING THE HUNTER !

Originally Posted By: bluegill74I am new to the forum and to predator hunting/calling. I live in north Florida and we seem to have a good population of coyotes in my hunting club and areas around my house. I am interested in learning to call them in for hunting. I just read the regulations on Florida Fish and Games website and they state that we cant use recorded sounds. I have seen the handmade calls on this site and they really caught my eye. Being new, can you recommend a few tones that you would say would be necessary for me to get started with hunting in the pine flat-woods and agricultural fields of north Florida. Any good tutorials on how to use them to produce the proper sound and when to use which one at what time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to learning as much as i can and getting into calling in coyotes.

Bluegill - not to talk you out of buying any of the call builders calls here, because every predator hunter should have a few of those in their arsenal as well, but you misread FWC Regs on calling coyotes...

Originally Posted By: FWC WebsiteMethods of take: Furbearers may be taken with guns, live traps, snares (including power snares), and recorded game calls. Live traps and snares must be checked every 24 hours.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/furbearer-falconry/

What you cannot take with recorded game calls, is game animals, e.g. no calling Deer or Turkey to recorded calls. Non-native, nuisance species, such as coyotes or hogs are open to electronic calls.

As for using one here in North Florida... I've had zero luck with mine, but given the way sound carries in the woods down here, I'm guessing at least part of my problem has been too much volume. Have called in a few with open reed calls, typically using territorial challenge howls, and they came from a LONG WAYS AWAY. But I was using a lot of volume there too.

Coyotes in NW FL are well fed = mice, rabbits, turkeys, birds, deer, road kill, etc.
I don’t see any territory pressure around here.
They will come downwind and with a lot of limited visibility you may get a glimpse before they leave = educated.
First tried to call coyotes in early 80s with a mouth call in thick pine woods. Did call in some but couldn’t kill any, they knew where I was.
Coyotes may be a long ways from where you see sign when you call.
They tend to be uninterested when it is hot and only move in low light and cooler temps. >They don’t have to work too hard to eat<
Probably more coyotes are shot by deer hunters sitting on stand than called by far.
One friend that hunts on a food plot, corn feeder and shooting house (butt magnet) and kills a few by putting a call out and turning it on before he leaves.
In thick stuff I think you need to be up because of the circle down wind thing.
I find prey and pup sounds work for me with an electronic call and get the call away from me.
Have found that I need to have gun pointed at call and ready to shoot at the first sound.
If one comes into the call shoot at the first opportunity – they can leave real quick.
Up close full camo, face and hands along with limited movement is important. Like turkey hunting.
They are way harder in the SW than out west. Get ready for a lot of dry stands, but just being out you will see many amazing things like deer coming in to whip up on something.
You will call in fox to and remember they are protected in FL.
You will be saving turkeys and deer when you kill coyotes. They have already started dogging deer here.
Coyotes often hunt at a trot and if you see one crossing a field or opening barking at them does stop them for a shot.
After my first failed attempts I was hooked and subscribed to a predator hunting magazine and read on Predator Masters for a few years. Watched videos – Byron South has some good ones about hunting in the thick stuff. I have hunted since early childhood but predators took retraining.
Put in the effort to learn and enjoy.

Back