Long Beard XR

So turkey season has ended, and it seemed every day I was turkey hunting, I saw a ton of coyotes. So I decided to go try and kill a couple, and setup just how I was turkey hunting. First light comes and here comes a dog over the hill. He stopped out a ways and was acting spooky so I took a poke with my Benelli Nova with 3 1/2 inch long beard xr rounds in and it rolled him. I ranged him from where he laid at 73 yards. Could have been a lucky pellet, or it could be that these rounds really group as good as they are advertised to.

I haven't tried it out on coyotes but used them for turkey and they throw a wicked pattern. Gonna have to give it a go on coyotes.

Just curious...

#1) Where was your point of aim?
#2) And , what is your choke constriction?

{I am unfamiliar with the shells, as I am not a turkey hunter.}

Buddy killed a coyote this past season with 3.5" #5s at about 70 yards per his estimate. The LongBeards are a heck of a shell- available in #4s which might be better for coyotes.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: jf1073thats really amazing

Uh huh...

Yep, the Golden BB.
thumbup1.gif

What size shot were you using? I was using federal 3" 6's and rolled one stone dead at 45yds. Used a heavy 13 choke. Glad they legalized it during turkey season this year. Now its time to get on them with the rifle again as the fawns are dropping:)

My turkey gun impressed the heck out of me with this shell and a .665 choke! I had a 40" pattern of #4 shot at 60 yards. And my turkey gun is only a 3" gun! I had been shooting #4 buck for yotes out of a .675 choke until I seen how the XR patterned. I decided I was gonna try it to see how it did. BUT I still havent had a yote to bite the hook while I was packing the shotty.

I was out and had the same thing.. I called in 7 coyotes in a day..

I only shot one because he got to close to the decoy. (i didn't want to chase a coyote to get my decoy back)

Anyways. #6 turkey 3.5" nitro's took this ones jaw off at about 25yrds. I put the bead on his head, and at a broadside shot, the pattern of the Carlsons Dead coyote choke and a mossberg 535 12g pump with a shorter barrel did the job, (I did have to put a 22 from my hip pistol in the dome to finish it)

I took most of my coyotes this year with the shotgun and Hornady dead coyote 3" shells with BB. They are very deadly out longer than i want to shoot, but are a decent price and work better than turkey shells.

I was using a carlsons extra full turkey choke and the #5's. As for the guys saying that it's amazing and the golden bb, I didn't ask you guys to believe me. Was just sharing my story. Thanks for commenting

I believe you killed a coyote at long range with a turkey load. Now if you want see how much luck was involved, please place a large sheet of paper at that same 73 lasered yards and fire a shot of the same combination and count the pellets in 10" at point of aim. Do it at least three separate times on clean targets to get a more accurate average of hits in that 10". Consider that what few pellets that might hit that vital area is only a lead #5, not much energy or penetration. Especially on coyote size and toughness of game. I don't know your experience shotgunning coyotes but for some of us this isn't a guess, we know what the odds are and what can go wrong with such a risky shot. You got lucky friend, and the old saying is "I'd rather be lucky than good." Nobody is mad and nobody is hating, just pointing out the obvious. Hopefully some new hunter won't expect to consistently have the same results and just wound game and end up with disappointment.

Glad you got the coyote! My own experience with the Longbeard XR 5's has been that they pattern well to 50-60 yds but lose energy fast after 50. Based on what I've seen with patterns and penetration, I don't trust their ability to penetrate consistently even on a turkey head beyond 55 even if the paper pattern looks decent. But I'm shooting 3" and the 3.5 " no doubt has some more punch to them.

Originally Posted By: kYoteSmokerI was using a carlsons extra full turkey choke and the #5's. As for the guys saying that it's amazing and the golden bb, I didn't ask you guys to believe me. Was just sharing my story. Thanks for commenting

I believe you 100%.

Now try this and report back with your results:

Originally Posted By: GCI believe you killed a coyote at long range with a turkey load. Now if you want see how much luck was involved, please place a large sheet of paper at that same 73 lasered yards and fire a shot of the same combination and count the pellets in 10" at point of aim. Do it at least three separate times on clean targets to get a more accurate average of hits in that 10". Consider that what few pellets that might hit that vital area is only a lead #5, not much energy or penetration.

I'm shooting a Dead Coyote tube in my old Stoeger 2000, and Longbeard #6 for turkeys. It will pattern 90% at 40 yds, and 84% at 50 yds. I've killed several turkeys at 50 and 51 yds with this combo. Never had a chance to try them on coyotes.
I can believe it killed a coyote at 70+ yds, maybe it was luck.....but it was a dead coyote! End result is what counts.

Back