204 or 20 tactical or 20 practicle

sandy hicks

Now that that the 223 to 204 has been debated. What about these three. I have a 204 but another rifle is always just around the corner

I have and shoot all three. The prairie dogs don't like them at all. Velocities are so close as to be mirrors. Accuracy can be stellar with any of them. The Prac and Tac are favorites because of cheap brass and I can shoot heavy bullets at magazine length in my AR's though with the new ASC's the 204 will get closer.

My 204's are all bolt guns and do have a slight edge in accuracy from the shooting standpoint that they are easier to shoot and have better triggers from the get go. I actually have a 20 Practical Savage barrel shipping to me today to run against my 20X6.8 and 20 LBC. It will be a great shoot out.

I like the Practical because I can use my 223 bushing dies. The Tactical dies from Redding are very nice but not cheap..LOL 204 dies are not hard to get but bulk brass is not always available.

Greg

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI have had a 20 tac, very accurate. I still have 204's won't ever be without one. I really want a 20 prac!

You have a 20P already it just has a sharper neck and a different name w/the 20T...hahah
the 20p is just darn fun & no fire forming.

Do I see a 20T going to the FS forum and a WTB 20p barrel soon?
The 20P I just did is on the AR15 frame, sold the Savage 20P barrel I had last year.

I have a 204 and 20 prac. When I built the 204 finding brass wasn't an issue, at around $25 per hundred. Like Greg said it works best with stainless mags to get to 2.3" oal. It is an absolute pdog slayer and has laid out it's fair share over the years, but is showing it's age.

I just got the 20 prac last winter and it has claimed 1 coyote, which it laid out admirably with a 40 gr berger. Velocities are close though I don't think I push the prac as hard as my 204 loads.

In this day and age of hard to find commercial brass it's a no-brainer. 20 prac or tac all the way.

If you really want cool, skip the 20's and go 17/223. Since I built one in March the 20's don't see so much daylight. 20 gr zmax at 4100 fps+ is absolute and total devastation on small soft targets like blackbirds. And it could be pushed quite a bit harder.

I have a 20 tac in bolt gun. and had a 20 tac in a AR.. I can really push it a lot harder in the bolt gun.. I think if I was doing a AR I would just do a 20 prac.. But I for bolt gun 20 Tac all the way..

Jason

Originally Posted By: smith1559I have a 20 tac in bolt gun. and had a 20 tac in a AR.. I can really push it a lot harder in the bolt gun.. I think if I was doing a AR I would just do a 20 prac.. But I for bolt gun 20 Tac all the way..

Jason

Given you choice with no $$'s attached and not already having the TAC bolt why would you not go with a 20 PRACin the bolt gun since you chose that in the AR?

For me not setting shoulders back is one less thing to start with. I realize it takes no extra effort to do this or an extra step but even the minuscule capacity gain is still something to consider.

Greg

I'm another one that went with the 20pr due to what has been stated above. I did not want any issues with the mag or any modification to the pmags. I also did not want to have to fire-form any brass. And the 223 range brass is available any day of the week. I an not pushing the 20pr very hard in the ar15 but the critters don't mind. At least they have not said anything riding home in the back of the truck.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: BOBTAILSI have had a 20 tac, very accurate. I still have 204's won't ever be without one. I really want a 20 prac!

You have a 20P already it just has a sharper neck and a different name w/the 20T...hahah
the 20p is just darn fun & no fire forming.

Do I see a 20T going to the FS forum and a WTB 20p barrel soon?
The 20P I just did is on the AR15 frame, sold the Savage 20P barrel I had last year.

No, my 20 Tac moved on last year. I'm kinda 20 caliber poor. I only have 204, 20 BR, and 20 VT anymore.
cry.gif

I have been looking but I'm not seeing any difference between the 20 Tactical and the 20 Practical. I want to reload with standard 20 caliber dies. I'm thinking the case closest to a standard .223 would be the best choice. Which one is that? The Tactical or the Practical?
kwg

Originally Posted By: 204 ARPractical is a straight neck down.

Yes the Prac is a simple neck down and the Tac is a simple neck down also but it requires fire forming after that, That why I suggested the 20 Prac for a AR style rifle. You don't have to worry about picking your brass up all the time.. then getting new loads for you fire formed brass..

Originally Posted By: bryan hBest part about the 204 is your on a hunt and run out of ammo walk in buy another box no neck down. Lol

Valid point uless you hunt where I do, no sporting goods stores for 150 + miles
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

In all my years I have never ran out of ammo of any kind. I have hundreds of rounds with me in the truck at all times for what ever i am using. I tend to over prepare.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERIn all my years I have never ran out of ammo of any kind. I have hundreds of rounds with me in the truck at all times for what ever i am using. I tend to over prepare.
smile.gif

Same here and I usually bring four different chamberings when I go. I'll have something to shoot by gosh. And I've even been known to do a PD or two with my carry gun or a revolver. Best to day is 75 yards with a 38 Special..LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERIn all my years I have never ran out of ammo of any kind. I have hundreds of rounds with me in the truck at all times for what ever i am using. I tend to over prepare.
smile.gif

Same here and I usually bring four different chamberings when I go. I'll have something to shoot by gosh. And I've even been known to do a PD or two with my carry gun or a revolver. Best to day is 75 yards with a 38 Special..LOL

Greg

Yep, I've never ran outta ammo, always got a backup and a backup for the back up lol!

Back