Bmag Target Thumbhole stock

204Gunner

I have been reading a lot about issues with these earlier rifles before the boyds stock and heavy barrel. Do any of you have the newer target model with the 1:8 twist? I am interested how the accuracy is with 25 grainers and how it functions. Thank you!

I don't. I've got the sporter barreled bmag and added a boyds rimfire hunter stock. I've been working with this rifle for over a year now, and I'm still a firm believer that the majority of the issues are with the WIN ammo.
Most of the reviews I've read from guys that bought or traded in for the heavy barrel have been positive.
Savage gurentees 1 1/2" groups with the sporter barrel and 1" with the heavy. I don't have anything to offer as far as the 1:8 barrel twist. Mine shoots within savage's gurentee w/ 25gr WIN ammo when I can get a 3 shot group without a flyer.
Hope this helps...

Thank you Wolverines. I currently have a Marlin 25MN 22 WMR I bought for the whole purpose of nighthunting in Michigan but considering the 17 WSM for 100 or so yard shooting at night also.

I have the heavy barrel fluted model from Cabelas. It is one of the newer ones with the 1:8 twist. I stiffened up the factory stock before even shooting it. I also ordered a boyd stock the day after I got it. Mine always shot well. Around a inch at 100 yards with the factory stock. I put it in the boyd stock and bedded the first 2 inches of the barrel. It now will shoot under a inch at 100 yards. I have only shot some of the 25 gr. rounds and they seem to shoot just as good. I love this round. I have a Franklin Armory upper on order, should have it here soon.

Originally Posted By: 204GunnerThank you Wolverines. I currently have a Marlin 25MN 22 WMR I bought for the whole purpose of nighthunting in Michigan but considering the 17 WSM for 100 or so yard shooting at night also.

I have a 25mn as well. Never taken any preds with it, but it's head shot its share of woodchucks. Likes the 30gr Hornady vmax.

Thank you for the info fellas. BTW Wolverines, my Marlin shoots the Remington Accutip bullets in that weight very well also (Hornady V-max bullet) but also shoots the Remington 40 grain HP almost as well and I think would be a better performer on yotes, but I have yet to shoot one with it.

Ok first and foremost this is my first post, but I have read and learned a lot from you all so thank you very much! I have the bmag heavy fluted barreled .17 wsm and just recieved my boydes thumbhole and put it on. I didn't care for the scope combo but that's all they've had for the last six months. I really didn't want the stainless barrel for hunting. Anyways after a lot of research I switched the stock tonight. About two hours later it was finally right! The issue i'v been reading about the most is with the safety not properly functioning. After installing and (crossing my fingers) went to use the safety and it didn't slide. What I ended up doing is simply using two pieces of cardboard that I cut to fit the slot and put holes for the screws to do though. I also had to shim the barrel and file out a bit from the stock because the barrel was rubbing on the left side of the barrel channel, even though I ordered the stock with the bull barrel channel. I will post pictures to hopefully help someone as you all have done for me in the past. Thanks again matt.

I have the light weight B-mag and I don't know how it shoots at 100yds. But Ive killed alot of stuff with mine and thats all that matters! The power of this thing blows all the other rim fires away!I was hooked at first trigger pull!

My B-mag , the heavy barrel stainless model, has shot right @ or just under an inch @ 100 yds since I got it, both 20 and 25gr ammo. It is a very fun gun! You get to see the explosive hits in the scope with basically zero recoil. It has done everything I wanted it to do. Yes the factory stock is a POS but I can look past that since it just plain smacks small critters really, really HARD for a rimfire.

I am now upgrading to the CZ 527 Varmint model in 17 Hornet but I don't regret buying and shooting my B-Mag whatsoever.
thumbup1.gif

BTW, if I don't sell my B-Mag locally in the next few weeks, I'll be listing it here since I just bought the CZ. No need for 2 17's in my stable right now.

I just bought a HB SS Bmag last week. First thing I did was order a Boyds stock for it. WOW! Savage seriously hit an all time low with that plastic POS thing that comes on these. I've seen better stocks on toy guns.

Are these HB stainless bmags 8tw or 9tw, seems like for every 6 people that tell me it's an 8tw I get half a dozen that say it's a 9tw. I'll know for sure in a few minutes though.

I looked at getting the Target version with the laminated thumbhole stock but the only one I could find was at Able's for $512. I'm not positive but it looked to me as though the only thing different between the HB SS and the HB SS Target version is the stocks. So I bought the HB SS with the POS stock for $330-$25mail in rebate =$305 then bought a Boyds Pro Varmint from DIP Inc. that comes with a nice metal trigger guard for $135 so I'm at $440 and I like the pro varmint better.

Just checked my HB stainless Bmag and it is a 1-9tw barrel.

Last edited:
Back