light weight ar 15 uppers

bh3

I have been looking and looking for a MAGNESIUM stripped AR15 upper. MAG Tactical made them, but is not doing so currently, I have E-Mailed them several times in the last few months. Does anyone know of another resource? I would be open to other uppers if they were not POLYMER, PLASTIC etc. Looking for 5 oz. or less
for the stripped upper.
BH3

Battle Arms is making some awesome lightweight stuff right now. A little pricey but quality stuff from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettHow much does a regular upper weigh

Forged uppers are generally 6.9oz -ish. We're talking 2oz for a lightweight upper. Unless you've entered into a bet that you could build a lighter AR than your buddy, then the upper is one of the least valuable investments for weight savings - very much a tipping point of diminishing return.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: steve garrettHow much does a regular upper weigh

Forged uppers are generally 6.9oz -ish. We're talking 2oz for a lightweight upper. Unless you've entered into a bet that you could build a lighter AR than your buddy, then the upper is one of the least valuable investments for weight savings - very much a tipping point of diminishing return.

Agreed times eleventy billion

Actually, I'm trying to beat 4lb-12oz. for a full functioning AR. The gun has an adjustable stock, forward assist, dust cover, flash hider,etc. and is all metal (except pistol grip). The upper is the only part that has not been changed to a lighter
piece.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: bh3Actually, I'm trying to beat 4lb-12oz. for a full functioning AR.

Why?

96979172b20c033b5e8b4d40c89fae279b22de65ceea9601e401f1b0ca2aa9b9.jpg

We build and sell AR 15's, and make some proprietary parts for some of our custom guns. The single biggest complaint I hear when people examine guns is "it weights a lot", so I started to sell a lightweight version, which has been fairly popular. While looking for light parts on line, I couldn't find a "full functioning" AR under 5.0 lbs, so four lbs-12 oz. has become my arbitrary goal. Bh3

Originally Posted By: bh3I couldn't find a "full functioning" AR under 5.0 lbs, so four lbs-12 oz. has become my arbitrary goal. Bh3

Well at least you recognize that it's arbitrary!
wink.gif

Guys b!tch about AR's being heavy, that's just a nature of semiautos - but I get it, selling lighter AR's is easier than selling heavier AR's. But it's still a reality that if a guy can build a hyperlight AR, they could build a lighter bolt gun - can't change that, there's simply more parts in an AR.

There is a youtube of someone trying to build a 3lbs AR and it ended up a little over 4lbs.

Also, there is a guy on the 6.8 forums that built an 6.8 that weight around 5.42lbs and that is using a 3-10x38 Weaver Scope and Aero percision mount.

6.8 Build without scope 3lbs 11 oz

anyone interested, pm me and I'll provide a link.

Back