Plotts for decoying

arielp

Was wondering if anybody has used a plott for working coyotes. I have the opportunity to get a male plott pup out of proven bear/lion dogs. Wanting to add some grit and nose to my group, I have a catahoula/pit and aussie/catahoula that are both females. They work they coyotes good but not as mean as I want them to be, both are dam good bitches though. Just worried he will be over aggressive and chase the coyote to the next county. Let me know what you think.

If I remember right there was a fella that posted a year or 2 ago about using his wife's plott for a decoy dog. He said it didn't work out so well if I remember right. Coyote came in and the Plott killed it. lol

i believe it isnt so much the breed or size, its more on the temperament of the dog. now, im not saying a great dane or a yorkie would work but any regular size dog can work if its the right dog...... and most of all, the right coyotes.

Well I acquired the pick of the litter so to late now. He is a good pup so far, I have him on coyote tails and he is doing well. If the decoying doesnt work out for him I can always use him for trailing a cripple. But im really excited to do some denning with him I think he will do well a tad bit big for denning but plenty of grit. I have seen both his parents get their fair share of bear fur in their mouths. Like I said if the decoying doesnt work out I can always keep him in the truck for trailing and denning. coyotes are picking up here, I hope yall have a fun spring/summer.

Here's my take on decoy dogs. I use a full cat, she's 10yrs old and has always been somewhat shy around coyotes. She will run out at about 40 yards and then come back in. This works great for what I need her to do. A friend of mine has a brother to her and he will chase them into the next county. It's not much of a problem in the spring because the adult coyotes are usually willing to stand their ground. But I like to use a decoy dog all year around, and his dog can be too intimidating in other times of the year. I feel you're always better to have one more on the non aggressive side if you want to use it year around. If just used during the pup season then it doesn't seem to really matter. For me the use of a dog is more so for a visual aid and attractant, plus to take the attention off of me , if I need to move around for better position. Even as submissive as mine is, there has been times when I could not get a coyote to come in because she was there. I've had them sit down at about 400yrds and just watch. I find this happens more in areas where the coyotes have been ran by sight hounds.

Last edited:
I tried my Walker once. She saw coyote and took off at it I toned her she didn't flinch then I let her have the heat and she whaled and kept going. Got her back two days later when a rancher called she was 11 miles from where I was hunting. Went to get her she had definitely been into it with something she had blood all over her nose head and chest. Needless to say that was her last coyote hunting trip...

LOL. Just doing what she was bred to do.

Not sure why anyone would want to try to overcome what an animal is bred to do.

My old Elk Hunting/Coaching pardner always said, "I will be convinced that genetics don't matter when someone coaches up a Shetland Pony to win the Derby."

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKLOL. Just doing what she was bred to do.

My old Elk Hunting/Coaching pardner always said, "I will be convinced that genetics don't matter when someone coaches up a Shetland Pony to win the Derby."

Hey....You can't teach size...!!!!

Plott's are, how do i say this in a nice way... dumb, they are real dumb. Like other living creatures they do not live on air, water and food. They live purely on hunting instinct and the chasing part of it, i have never been so frustrated and angry over a dog cause of its stupidity like the plott we chase fox and lynx with. They dumb.

Here he is inside a dent. Dumb s***

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKLOL. Just doing what she was bred to do.

Just for the record....I'm pretty sure your Cur has a tich of Plott in her.....I know her older sister does.
wink.gif

Of course she does Charlie. They are full sisters. An eighth Plott. Way different than a full blown trail hound though. (-:

My Dad ran Plotts on the Frenchman River when I was a kid. I don't know if I would call them dumb, maybe single minded would be a fair description. LOL

The Plotts I have known generally also have more grit/bite than I would prefer in a decoy dog.

JMO

We do love our girls though don't we Charlie? I plan to bring her up next fall early. Hopefully the place won't be on fire again.

Last edited:
I know...I was just funnin ya Craig....
I'm no Plott expert but the Bear hunters over here sure like em for just the reason you mentioned....GRIT...(or maybe they're just to "dumb" to be afraid:)....

Sorry about the fires....I didn't like em any more than you did...

Bear Dogs? Now you are talking about work for Plotts! I love them for what they are bred for.

You know, I have heard it said, "There are some good Bear Dogs & some Old Bear Dogs, but few if any Good, Old Bear Dogs."

Thanks D.....i had that same pic saved until my old computer went ka-puttt....gonna save that one in my Photobucket account....
I should have put it on a disc but I'm a pathological procrastinator.....

I'm training my Plott/Cur mix right now. I bought him off John Graham who uses his Plott father to decoy. He's not as aggressive as Annie. But he's only 10 months old. She's a Cur/Airdale. She's pregnant with his pups. Gonna be interesting.

Last edited:
Back