Question: Hornady 22 caliber 75g Match HP on coyotes

ackleyman

I noticed that these bullets have a huge cavity between the point and the level of the lead.

Does anyone have any experience with coyotes with this bullet, AR or Bolt gun?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
In 6mm dti they are devestating. Not very fur friendly under 100 yds. I have no kills beyond that with that bullet. I would not hesitate to use it on deer out to 250.

Actually I see now that you are asking about hornady, Sierra is what I use.

Last edited:
Bushy, sorry, I forgot to add that I was asking about the 22 caliber version. Sierra 75's in the 243 and 6 rem are wicked, wicked on coyotes. Win 760 and IMR 4064 with federal 210's seems to be magic with this bullet seated close to the lands.

I did not hunt with the 75 grainers. What happened is, I tried them with an AR w/ 1-9 twist. This was back in the crunch and that was all I could get. What happened is they were accurate to 100 yds but started spreading out at 200 yds. This was mainly due to the twist rate. A 1-7 is much better for the 75-80 grain bullets. You can use them probably if you don't make log shots. I just purchased that one box, because I had read about this happening. That is why the Military went to the 1-7 twist. It is not recommended to hunt with, because most manufacturers think deer, hogs, and don't consider coyote hunters. It fine for coyotes. Depending upon your twist rate,you may be ok.

A consideration is whether or not a 9 twist will stabilize them, my Shilen would not stabilize the 75g V max in the 1-9, hoping for better luck with the 75g BTHP match with more bearing surface.

Keith

Actually I just looked and I have two unopened boxes. 😃

I guess I do know about them. I will give em a try.

Stick a needle in the hp till it touches the lead, big air pocket behind the tip, has to be great coyote bullet if you have a rifle that will shoot them.

75 grain Hornady HPBT
23 Grain W748
LC Brass
CCI 41 Primer
COAL 2.25
RRA 16"HB Loves them!!!

It actually shots them better than 68 Grain Hornady HPBT. Or maybe I just have yet to find the right load for the 68ers.

Back