Veto override attempt considered after Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin rejects gun bill

hm1996

Staff member
Quote:

Veto override attempt considered after Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin rejects gun bill

Members of Oklahoma’s House and Senate are considering overriding Gov. Mary Fallin’s veto of Senate Bill 41, which seeks to restrict businesses from banning firearms at parks, fairgrounds and recreation areas.

by Rick Green Published: May 13, 2015

One year ago, Oklahoma legislators completed their first override of a veto from Gov. Mary Fallin. They were able to negate her decision on a bill involving firearms.

Advocates for gun rights are hoping history will repeat itself.

They are encouraging lawmakers to override a veto Fallin delivered Monday on Senate Bill 41, which sought to restrict businesses from banning guns at parks, fairgrounds and recreational areas. Any senator can request an override vote.

The Oklahoma Second Amendment Association encouraged members to contact Senate President Pro Tem Brian Bingman to push for an override vote. Bingman said he does not support the effort.

Sen. Ralph Shortey, a co-author of the bill, said the first priority is to see if the measure can be rewritten in a way that would meet with the governor’s approval.

“But if push comes to shove and we can’t find agreement or middle ground, then yeah, I’d support an override,” said Shortey, R-Oklahoma City.

The Legislature overwhelmingly approved the bill before the business community raised concerns that the measure could jeopardize events that pump millions of dollars into the economy such as the NCAA basketball tournament, Women’s College World Series softball and horse shows at State Fair Park. Businesses that run such events often contractually require that guns be prohibited.

The governor said it wouldn’t be proper for her to sign the bill because it involves an issue that is the subject of pending litigation. She also said business concerns need to be taken into consideration.

“I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment,” she said in an interview. “I’m a gun owner myself. I have my open carry license and I have signed legislation for open carry and many other gun bills since I’ve been in office as governor, so there’s no doubt where I stand on our Second Amendment rights and gun ownership in Oklahoma.”

Proponents of the bill said business concerns are overblown and that the measure would still allow businesses to ban guns in buildings and stadiums.

Tim Gillespie, president of the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association, said the main reason for the veto was pressure from business groups.

“I don’t necessarily think Fallin is anti-gun,” he said. “She is indifferent to the issue. If it’s convenient to sign it she will, if she has a reason not to, she won’t.

“She’s really not concerned about my God-given right to self-preservation.”

A year ago, the Legislature overrode Fallin’s veto of House Bill 2461, which was intended to prevent Oklahoma sheriffs and police chiefs from stalling the transfer of federally regulated firearms and accessories like silencers, fully automatic weapons and short-barreled shotguns.

Fallin said at the time that the bill attempted to regulate a federal agency and did not serve a significant interest to citizens.

The Legislature easily overrode that veto.

It takes a two-thirds vote of the House and the Senate to override a governor’s veto.

http://newsok.com/veto-override-attempt-...5418485/?page=2

Regards,
hm

“I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment,” she said in an interview. “I’m a gun owner myself. I have my open carry license and I have signed legislation for open carry and many other gun bills since I’ve been in office as governor, so there’s no doubt where I stand on our Second Amendment rights and gun ownership in Oklahoma.”

When a politician says things like that, and then makes excuses it makes me sick. And her excuse that it might effect businesses coming to the state. Oh effing well, if the business doesn't want to agree to the constitution, they should be run out of town on a rail anyway. Just another example of why republicans can't be trusted either. Not much difference between the 2 parties anymore. Big business has flooded politics with money to go against the constitution and get their way. It's a shame.

Back