Rl-17

vt coy caller

My local gun shop finally has reloder 17 in stock. I've been waiting to get my hands on some since I built my 22-250ai over a year ago. I currently shoot 60gr Berger fb and 69gr smk's. I know smokeless was shooting this powder and getting good results but he seems to have flown the coup here, anybody else working with it out of a 22-250, 22-250 Ai or swift? I'm not finding anything for data in my resources just looking for a starting point and curious as to what others have found? Thanks, VT

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialI believe Reloder powders has an on-line reloading manual for their powders, so you should find loads there for the 22/250.

Nothing on the Alliant site for any of these cartridges...not that I've seen anyways, I also have there book, but both are kind of dated now, haven't seen any updates to the site in quite some time.

I use RL-17 in my 22-250 ack.with a 26 inch Hart 1-8 twist--This is a 57900 presure load--Quick load says with a 75 a-max 39.0 will give you 3360 f.p.s.--This is a sledge hammer on coyotes--safe in my rifle but should be worked up to slowly.--If you use standard 22-250 and work up you will be fine.---be careful--good luck.

Originally Posted By: 6xc-longshooterI use RL-17 in my 22-250 ack.with a 26 inch Hart 1-8 twist--This is a 57900 presure load--Quick load says with a 75 a-max 39.0 will give you 3360 f.p.s.--This is a sledge hammer on coyotes--safe in my rifle but should be worked up to slowly.--If you use standard 22-250 and work up you will be fine.---be careful--good luck.

Thank you for posting, this pretty much confirms my findings. I got to work with it some on sunday and Monday with the 69gr smk's. I started at 37gr and worked up to 39.5 which seems to be my max.(velocity right at 3610 fps)! As always with this rifle it shoots almost everything into 1/2" to 5/8" groups till it gets to the point of flattening and cratering primers then it starts putting one round on top of another. This is my reason for trying so many powders, I would like to find an accurate load that isn't so hard on brass and I'm sure the barrel too! I've tried several powders from burn rates as fast as 8208xbr to 4831sc and the result is always best accuracy at max with this barrel.

Back