moa confused?

As stated, the minimal differences of the 1 MOA = 1" at 100 yds is going to be good enough. The actual fact that it equals 1.047xxx is null in void most times. Even as you go out further. Someone noticing that there group at 1000 yds is .47" off is highly unlikely. So instead of muddying the waters even more, why not use the measurements given..1/4" or 1/8" Turn the turrets and zero. Use correct ballistic app to give you figures to go off of at distances past that. No program will be 100% correct anyway. You can and will get in the ball park but will not be 100% exact at every distance. Too many variables. Practical shooting applications vs. math don't always equal the exact same thing.

The importance of the difference between MOA and inches matters most for his ballistic program.

If the ballistic program output is in inches, then dialing 3.1" at 300yrds with a 1/8" per 100yrds sope is 8 clicks (3.0").

If the ballistic program output is in MOA, then dialing 3.1MOA with a 1/8" per 100yrds is 25 clicks (3.125MOA = 9.375").

Went out this morning with .223 and sightron 8x32x56,temperature was 55 degrees,at 200 yards,3 inches low,figures out to be around 2930fps

Last edited:
Quote:Went out this morning with .223 and sightron 8x32x56,55 degrees,at 200 yards,3 inches low,figures out to be around 2930fps
...sorry,but that confused me...(55 degrees)...Is that the temperature??or the rate of angle you were shooting???
smile.gif
With that round and optic, I'm going out on a limb and thinking that you are interested in precision shooting for a competition...If so, you need to look into one of the MagnetSpeed chronographs...

They are on sale at several places right now...I have the V3 (newest one out) that I bought myself for Christmas since my old one (still had the paper baffles and screens) threw craps after eons of use...I'm thrilled with the simplicity and features of it...It's a lot better than trying to guesstimate your velocities...

Minute of angle is an ANGULAR MEASURMENT not really a linear measurement. The angle two legs are closer at the intersection of the angle's side and the ends of the legs (vectors) expand apart the farther out you go but still maintain the same angular measurement.

Back