AR shooting rest

What rest do you guys like the best for shooting your AR's? Id like to have something steady but it needs to be high enough for the grip to clear the bench.

Thanks

I use a Caldwell Tackdriver Shooting Rest bag in the front. It does a nice job of cradling the forearm of the rifle. For an AR, it may need an extra inch or two of elevation under it to keep the grip off of the table. For the back I use the Caldwell Deluxe Universal Rear bag. Just slide it back and forth along the stock to adjust elevation. I also have a lead sled. But I mainly use it for sighting and testing rifles with more recoil.

I use the Caldwell Tact Driver front bag. I don't really have any thing for the back that works. I bought a small calwell shooting bag for the rear but don't like it or use it much. It's too small to work.

I also have a lead sled Duel Frame Technology Shooting rest. I use wratched straps to secure it to the wooden shooting bench rest at the shooting range and that works pretty well. But even if I add another two 25 lb bags of lead shot to the tray it still moves after each shot using the AR15 platform and I have to move the lead around to get the sights (scope) back onto the bulls eye again. But it does help tighten up my groups. It's harder to get a good cheek weld when using the lead sled and wearing electronic hearing muffs at the same time. Even the low profile electronic hearing muffs tend to get in the way of a good solid cheek weld when using the lead sled.

I have EGW bag riders to go on my AR's, so for max stability, I often shoot off of a mechanical rest. Other than being a bit higher off the bench, there's not much different in the set up between my bolt guns and my AR's.

For pleasure plinking, I either use two sandbags, or a bipod with a preload strap and rear bag.

Homemade for me. Made out of an old scissor jack and some metal. The jack let's you adjust height and I just use a small rear bag. It's not a lead sled but it wasn't 150 bucks either. The bottom has rubber pads and the cradle swivels 360. Works great for both bolt and AR rifles

Best rest for me was when I cut the arms off a couple of sweatshirts and filled 3 of them up with a 50 lb bag of sand, double ty wraps on the arms. I carry them in a plastic bucket. I think the sand was about $3.60.

Back