223 to 204?

ICU22-250

I'm wanting to convert my built 223 AR into a 204, possibly.. Is it as easy as buying a barrel and bolt combo and just make the switch. Or is there more to it than that? I realize I will need a new gas block also, what else?

Gas block and gas tube will work as long as they are the same profile and gas system length. Same mags except pmags don't work with out some modification. Metal mags and I think Lancers are gtg.

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250What about the actual bolt itself? Does BHW do a barrel and bolt combo? I've been wanting to try one of their barrels.

They will do that. Ritch can speed things up for you. Give him a call.

Greg

You don't need a bolt, the barrel will come head spaced. Companies sell bolt/barrel combo's for profit, not necessity.

The 204 will get the job done but there are cheaper and more flexible choices out there if you are a handloader. I own 3 204's but have found a better mouse trap IMHO.

Greg

What's the better mouse trap Greg? And how does it fair in comparison to the 204 as far as velocity? What barrel length and contour would you guys suggest to get the most accuracy, speed but still versatile for hunting. I'm not a fan of carrying around a lead weight..

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250What's the better mouse trap Greg? And how does it fair in comparison to the 204 as far as velocity? What barrel length and contour would you guys suggest to get the most accuracy, speed but still versatile for hunting. I'm not a fan of carrying around a lead weight..

The 20 Practical is by far the better MT in my opinion. A straight neck down from 223 to 204 is as easy as falling off a log. Cheaper more available brass. You can use a Redding bushing die with one bushing for case forming. Velocities are virtually identical. You can use heavier/longer bullets at magazine length.

The dozen plus I am familiar with all shoot lights out. For a generalized hunting gun I would go standard weight 22" or if weight is uber-important I would go with the lightweight contour. 20's are cool but speed is what makes them killers.

The barrel length gets you all you can get. My 20's, of which I own over half a dozen, are 24" and longer. The BHW barrels I shoot are faster than standard barrels I shoot and compare them too and the difference is a 22" BHW I get from Ritch is as fast if not faster than any 24" we see in the manuals with same same loading. No brag just documented performance.

Just my experience but on the 20's I do have my toes wet..

Greg

I like the sound of it so far.. So I'm guessing your choice of barrel would be a BHW? I ask because you have a ton of experience with these I'm gathering.. My rifle has a 223 rainier ultra match on it as of now..

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250I like the sound of it so far.. So I'm guessing your choice of barrel would be a BHW? I ask because you have a ton of experience with these I'm gathering.. My rifle has a 223 rainier ultra match on it as of now..

Yes I have a small ton of 20's. Give Ritch a call. He will have you giving out Hallaleuahs after the call. There's at least half a dozen guys on here shooting them from BHW he has built or just sold the barrels to.

Greg

Originally Posted By: steve garrettjust load light bullets in the 223 and skip the 204

And give up the superior BC of the twenty? Why do that? If light 223 pills got it done the 204 would have never become popular.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: steve garrettjust load light bullets in the 223 and skip the 204

And give up the superior BC of the twenty? Why do that? If light 223 pills got it done the 204 would have never become popular.

Greg

Amen. I've got 2 heavy barreled AR varminters. One is the 204, the other a slow twist 223 AI, shooting 40's. It comes close to the 204 but isn't quite there. A regular 223 doesn't stand a chance.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: steve garrettjust load light bullets in the 223 and skip the 204

Greg

Amen. I've got 2 heavy barreled AR varminters. One is the 204, the other a slow twist 223 AI, shooting 40's. It comes close to the 204 but isn't quite there. A regular 223 doesn't stand a chance.

I also am blessed with not only equivalents in the AR but in 700 Remington Varmints in 223 and 204. You speak reality. The 20 walks on the 223 as long as bullets are 55 and under.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: steve garrettjust load light bullets in the 223 and skip the 204

Greg

BC doesn't matter when we are talking 350 yards, IE The useful range of each cartridge. SPEED is what you want. Further the loading data for the 223 is weak, load that puppy to 65kpsi with light bullets and the 204 doesn't look near as great. lastly if we are talking coyotes nearly all the 20 cal bullets are pretty lightly constructed for animals larger than a prairie dog.

^^ The 20P has a few grains less total capacity. I built My 20P AR15 w/a BHW 22" bbl and its a sub moa shooter and within 100-150 fps of the 204 max speeds. Whats not to like when you have the ease of necking down and zillions of .223 brass around. I spit a 32g bullet at 3900 fps right now.

Back