Berger .270 VLD hunting bullet load data

Scalloper

I am having some trouble getting good groups with these. From what I have read its normal and can take awhile to work up a accurate load. I am shooting a Rem 700 in .270 with 130 VLD bullets do any of you have a COAL that I might start with? I used 60 gr of H4831 sc with a COAL of 3.256 and got a 100 yd group of 2.32". The next load with 60gr of same powder had a COAL of 3.233 and grouped .98. Next was 57 gr H4831sc with COAL 3.233 and grouped 2.23"
Ot seems like I was getting better groups with other bullets using H4831. Should there be that much difference with the short cut 4831?

I know a 270 win 130gr bullet & 60grs H4831SC is a good node. I would advise using that charge if you not seeing any pressure issues.
I have been loading Bergers and this method works really well.

I usually only test 3 of each and I load sets at 0, -.020, -.040, -.080, -.100, -.120-OTL. You will find a sweet spot or two. You can find tune in .005" from there.

I feel you will find something with the jumps mentioned above.

good luck..

I've noticed sometimes that no matter how many different types of lengths, powders and how much powder you use sometimes you don't get the group you're looking for. If this is your case maybe try a heavier bullet. Sometimes the barrel has a hard time stabilizing lighter bullets, depends on your twist etc etc.

I thought about that but not sure if I want to take a chance sicking a bullet while hunting and possibly dumping powder in the action.

You need to get the VLD's seated right up close to the lands. I had a he*ll of a time with them at first also. I finally got them to group sub moa with my 7mm and man are they incredibly accurate. Best part about the VLD is the devastation they bring. Unbelievable destruction of vitals on the elk and deer I've taken.

I have to disagree, most of the Bergers I've setup for hunting have been off the lands. Hunters don't want to be jamming bullets or even close to lands if we don't have to.

Sometimes the vld's do work best very close to the lands and or jammed. But I have have great luck with many seated off the lands. As stated in my last post; Vld's like a good bullet seating spacing when test COAL (.020-.030" spacing) once you find sweet spot, fine tune col and you done.

here's a target:
A= .000" touching
B= .040" off land
C= .070" " "
D= .100" " "
1026121017a.jpg

I don't have a picture of .020" off but appears to but a good col as well.

Fine tuned the target "C" .070 and found .005" deeper @.075" is best.
1029120658.jpg

Why would you care if the bullet was close to the lands when you're hunting? Most often,the VLD's tend to like to be closer(mine were not jammed though). Certainly not true in all cases, but a good place to start if he's having problems. Your findings are much different than mine.

Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24Why would you care if the bullet was close to the lands when you're hunting? Most often,the VLD's tend to like to be closer(mine were not jammed though). Certainly not true in all cases, but a good place to start if he's having problems. Your findings are much different than mine.

I've seen bullets get jammed into the lands, then when you don't shoot the gun and you open the bolt to take the shell out when you load it in the truck to move the case pulls free of the bullet and you end up with a bullet lodged in your barrel and an action full of powder...

Back