Hornady/Hodgdon Superformance POWDER

richard50

I bought some of this powder and I have a Rem 700SPS Varmint in 22/250. This is my newest project and was wondering if anybody has loaded with it yet and if so what were your results? please include all components used. I am undecided on bullet choice, so if anyone has used more than one type/brand bullet share that too.

I have only seen data for 60gr and heavier bullets. I think that gun has a 1/12 Twist barrel so you may have stability problems with the heavier bullets but you can give it a go and see.
Look to Hodgdons website for data.
With lighter bullets it's a little on the slow burning side to get optimum performance.

Superformance powder that you can buy, was built around the 30-06. The trick with it, is the way the pressure curve works. Very progressive burning rate. What that means is you can get more velocity at lower charges due to more efficient burn. At higher pressures the curve peaks up and acts more "Normal". In my Creedmoor, I love it!
Here is a typical burn curve in the creed, with H4350
Screenshot_2014-12-26-14-36-09_zpsv6lwcels.png

Now same rifle fired with Superformance
Screenshot_2014-12-26-14-35-27_zpsvfj221vz.png

So we're left in a quandary . I too bought some, (any powder better than none) but I have and want to use, a whole bunch of old 50gr Hornady SPSX slugs for my 22-250 . Hornady says to not exceed 3500 fps or they spin apart in flight

Hodgdons latest book and website do not give any additional information. But if as Darkker says.... if I use less powder, and get more velocity, .......then how in the heck is anyone to figure a safe, useful load for any bullet other than a 60 gr. ??

Also, even if I go to an '06 based case, 25-06, there's no load recommendations for that cartridge either.

By the way, I've used 60gr Noslers on my 1/12 twist 22-250 and they work fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bigdog2So we're left in a quandary . I too bought some, (any powder better than none) but I have and want to use, a whole bunch of old 50gr Hornady SPSX slugs for my 22-250 . Hornady says to not exceed 3500 fps or they spin apart in flight

Velocity is irrelevant by itself to a bullet, RPM is what destroys them. Your barrel's smoothness will affect this number. Those SPSX bullets have an RPM limit of @ 230,000. So do the math, and test with your rifle.
MV*720 ÷ twist = RPM

Tight twist will tear up spsx sooner than speed. A 22 250 is likely 1 in 14 twist so they may hold together . I have seen a 1in 8 thear them up at 3150fps

Darkker, it looks like you are getting less velocity with the Superperformance or am I reading something wrong.

Ackleyman, what are your loads as I just got a 6.5 creedmoor?

Back