Flir Vue

I was thinking the same thing on the utv skypup. I have a polaris ranger 800 crew that needs to be put to good use. I'm curious as to what kind of mount it interfaces to?

You could mount it onto virtually anything, in particular a gimbal mount for Pan/Tilt use and then attach to wireless transmitter and receive in the cab on an I-Pad or HD Monitor, the huge FOV is totally awesome.

Raytheon, is still working on mine, by the time I am done with this drone, I wont even have to go hunting, I just look in the back of my truck, if I see a dead coyote, I go tap into the drone video library and see what went down...

Originally Posted By: SkyPupYou could mount it onto virtually anything, in particular a gimbal mount for Pan/Tilt use and then attach to wireless transmitter and receive in the cab on an I-Pad or HD Monitor, the huge FOV is totally awesome.

So I assume you've already pre-ordered one for your hunting buggy and have another ordered for the drone you're undoubtedly building?
wink.gif

The technology is already moving so fast it's hard to even imagine what you could do with adequate funding. By the time you get something mounted up and learn to use it Flir has a new gadget that you must have. I'm almost dizzy with the options that are available.

You could make hunting video's from your ATV and/or a drone quite easily and even have someone operate it to video you hunting on the ground while they flew the drone and filmed it from above. The applications seem endless.

Here's another idea. You could send an RC little monster truck to check all your bait sites and I bet the hogs would find it curious at bestand not be afraid of it. LOL

Imagine sitting in your pickup while out hunting and sending out the drone or RC Monster truck to find the hogs while you listened to Patsy Cline on your truck radio. LOL

All I can say is WOW!!! Another gottahaveit gadget for my wishlist....
wink.gif

A lot of states have laws against aerial location of game. I wonder if any do for RC monster trucks... LOL

I know that hogs aren't considered a game species by most game departments but the chances of using drones for location of say deer will surely be legislated against in the next few years.

Imagine sitting down to call coyotes and having a telescoping pole on a tripod where you could elevate the camera and pan 360 degrees. No more having coyotes sneak in downwind and bust you.

The applications are seemingly endless and suddenly having to hold a thermal monocular to one eye and gazing through it for hours seems somehow completely stone age... LOL

$bob$

Originally Posted By: Mr BenelliCan anyone explain that fov in terms of 100 yards?

1-degree at 100yds is 5.235'

This is interesting to me. But I have some questions...

What core is this? Is it TAU 2 or something else? Is it a 17 micron?

What is FLIR going for here? Is it a new product in that its all packaged up and ready to go...just add power and video monitor? I just ask cause it seems similar to the TAU 2 OEM core (or starter kit they call it) with the VPC module for power and video out.

How is this VUE different or new as compared to what they already offer in an OEM core...be it TAU 2 or Quark?

But most importantly is the question of which core is in VUE. I have to think its something different because of the price. 3000.00 for a 640 core seems pretty good. Although, I've never priced any of the other OEM core products they sell...like TAU 2 or Quark. I'm assuming they are more expensive.

Anyone got any more details on this thing?

Regards,

G.

edit... okay I just looked it up. TAU 2 640 OEM core is just north of 7 grand.

Last edited:
I believe it is a TAU2 17 micron core, they have not posted the intricate technical specs on the electrical operational aspects of it as of yet, but it does put out NTSC video.

The technical aspects will be posted in mid-June for developers.

One of the main things are the different lens options and their huge FOV for wide angle coverage.

Well SkyPup it appears you are correct...no surprise there.

According to this guy it is in fact a TAU 2. He says they simplified the interface and output. Will be interesting to see what exactly that means.

But if this thing has a good TAU 2 640 image for 3K, that's a big deal. Seems like a huge price difference though. Also seems it might undercut some of their other products. While it wouldn't be waterproof, like the real PTZ FLIR thermal cameras, one could easily mount this thing on a gimbal mount or PTZ housing, and have a much much cheaper PTZ thermal camera. And a 640 version to boot...all for 3K plus a little.

And for the drone guys? If it produces a good image? FLIR will sell an [beeep] load of these things. I know there there are lots of drone guys already spending more than that for a 336 core image.

Regards,

G.

You got that right, configuring your own housing and a gimbal is just part of the game, I certainly am interested in having one of these in a drone.

Back