6x45 vs 300 blkout

Yoda-X

I am debating another ar15 build and contemplating these two. 300blkout seems to be the rage these days, but wondering about the 6x45 also. Both make sense but looking for some pros and cons of each.

Gun will be a dual purpose tactical / coyote gun

Give me your thoughts.

My feelings are that the 6x45 will be great for coyotes with anything under 80gr bullets and they really shine in the 60-75gr. And unless you are going suppressed then don't even bother with the 300bk. I feel that the 300bk would not give you anything that you can't live without. The 6x45 will give you better range than the 300bk.

I'll admit - I don't really get the 300blk rage - sure, it's great to have a "30prac" for ease and minimal cost of reloading, but unless you're looking for a sub-sonic suppressed rifle, I don't see an advantage over many other rounds (x39, 6.8, 6.5G, 6x45, etc etc).

I certainly don't see an advantage for the 300blk as a coyote rifle, especially over a 6x45.

Last edited:
Since you brought up suppressed. I don't know why anyone shoots anything but suppressed.

I use both successfully all the time on yotes but like I said with his parameters he should go with the 6X45.

I went through same question, and have a 6x45 barrel on order.
Already have the dies, so will start reloading soon.
Also like that the same 6mm pills run in my 243 for even more punch.

Originally Posted By: Yoda-XI am debating another ar15 build and contemplating these two. 300blkout seems to be the rage these days, but wondering about the 6x45 also. Both make sense but looking for some pros and cons of each.

Gun will be a dual purpose tactical / coyote gun

Give me your thoughts.

300 BLK
Pros - based on the .223, uses a wide range of bullets and weights, factory ammunition, economical on powder, awesome when suppressed, pretty fun in an AR.

Cons - short range, forming your own brass is a little labor intensive when compared to 6x45, it seems like only a few powders work really well

6x45
Pros - based on the .223, bullet selection is good, works well with a variety of bullets and powder, basically a .223 with better energy, really easy to form brass.

Cons - having trouble coming up with cons, about the only thing I can think of is that there is only one source of factory ammo that I have found. Les Baer Customs, the up side is that it's good quality and they are good to deal with.

both.jpg

6x45 all the way with ease.
Simplicity of making brass & loading. There is no load my build wont shoot under an inch at 100yds
Loads are more then plentiful from the 55g to the 95g bullets.
I built my 1st 6x45 on an AR15 frame in 2010, then did it on a Savage action in 2011 and never looked back.
Its more than perfect for p-dogs to antelope and at a longer range than the 300 blk.
The 300 never peaked an interest with me.
You can search my posts and that's about all you will see me using.
I even have a "spare" 6x45 bbl for my Savage.

I've had two 6x45's and both were extremely accurate. My 16" M4gery was prolly the most accurate rifle I ever owned. I loved it, but when Kansas decided to make any centerfire legal to hunt deer with, I sold the 6x45's. The .223 has better quality hunting bullets in the same weight range as what the 6x45 shines with. I killed a few deer with the 70 grain Matchkings I was using from my 6x45, but I feel better about using the 70 grain Barnes TSX. You have to get up to 80+ grain bullets before you get a hunting bullet in a 6mm, but you can get good bullets as light as 55 grains in 22 caliber.

Originally Posted By: bushy6 all the way..

why the 300 has so much love I just don't understand.

My thots also. Can't figure out why so.many are smitten with the 30 cal AR 15s

Originally Posted By: gooseislandI love my 6x45. Cheap brass. Easy to load for. Coyote killer.

Absolutely. Wonderful little cartridge.

I set up barrels in .223, 6X45, and .300 AAC on one of my carbines using the Dolos system. Yes, you can have it all, my friends.

Back