THWAP "KyYi" THWAP!

g Bo

Here's how it happened... My father in law had a calf killed two nights ago and was pretty upset. Anyway I was out hunting Tuesday evening when my wife called me to tell me about the calf. It seemed like she wanted me to try and get the guilty coyote. What is a guy to do? I thought and thought, pondered it through and through??? Finally I came up with an idea! I would have to go hunting, even though I don't like it much, especially hunting coyotes.

Alarm rang at 4:15 this morning I got up and looked out, downpouring rain all night and still coming. Never had any sucess in the rain so thought about crawling back into bed for abit. Then I though I would pull up an hour by hour weather report. It said the rain would stop by 5:30 am. (Talking to myself I said, "self we have to go"), even though kids that lie when they're little are weathermen when they grow up" I thought what the heck the weather report may be right.

I loaded up my stuff and headed out. Got to the spot where his calves are (buy 5) and the rain was just letting up. This place is by a major highway, railroad crossing and a lot of traffic. I wouldn't have probably not tried it unless I was kinda forced to protect my wife's fathers calves ( it is a dirty job but someone has to do it). I walked along the railroad tracks as a trian was passing, perfect conditions, wet grass , good wind, bells ringing, train whistles blowing, wow it was loud, dark, it was all lining up. I walked about a half mile and slipped over the elevated tracks. The rail bed was elevated about 30 feet so it gave me a great view of the area. Put the call out about 40 yards down in the brush, took a seat up next to the tracks against a big sage brush. Then waited and waited and waited for light to arrive. Of coarse the wind changed and was blowing right into the area in front of me. I must admit it dashed my hopes abit. I pulled out my wind checker and checked the wind continually tell it was light but it didn't change direction even though I thought a couple of cuss words.

Started calling with kitten in distress (because I was so close to town) then a wounded bird sound that was saying, "please come and eat me". About the 5 minute mark I did a couple of howls (both mounth and electronic) at 150 yards I spotted a real dark, wet looking coyote, I thought, so I put my binos up and Wallaaa! It was indeed a wet coyote. Set the binos down ranged it, moved the rock River and sticks into place. Deep breath, squeeze yep then "THWAP " I smacked my remote on my thigh, to activate the KiYi it sounded for about a minute and here came number two running right at the call. I hit the mute button In hopes he would stop before he got to the call. He stopped at 85 yards. Put the rock River up squeeze and a miss at 85 yards when I had just dropped one at 150. I know aim small miss small but your mind doesn't always remember that in the heat of the moment. I think because of the suppressor it didn't run away hard. I hit the KiYi again and just as he was passing his buddy, he stopped to smell him. Squeeze, "THWAP". Called for a few more minutes. I walked over and they were almost laying on each other. It was a heavy drag back to the truck but a happy drag. My father in law was pretty happy. Hopefully they were the ones but just in case I may have to go out again

This is where they were laying when I got over to them. I didn't move them at all. Oh! I did set the gun behind them for the Kodak moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up and pics.
thumbup1.gif

Dang Gary... You are on a role... That's what I am talking about... Stack em up
thumbup1.gif

"Hopefully they were the ones but just in case I may have to go out again"

those were definitely not the ones... You got more to kill;)

Many congrats...

I can tell just looking at expression on there faces ( wasn't me look ) they were innocent. You better go back & try again !

Great story & pics !

Pretty cool story. I always try a kiyi whenever a shot is taken but it hasnt worked on getting the second one yet. Still hopeful though

Proud of you for ''Manning Up'' and doing the right thing, Proud of You! Those two coyotes won't be getting your FIL's calves. Thanks for the story and pics. Take care, John.

Back