Why do I have success in March/April in Illinois/Indiana ????

William Tharp

I coyote hunt hard in Jan/Feb and had ZERO luck last 2 years. I recently retired and hunt alot. Everyone says they are hungry in the dead of winter but I can't tell. Now comes March and April and ive killed 4. Also December around here is good. called 8 in in Dec 14. didn't kill a one of them but had a ton of luck. Somebody shed some light on this??? I use a foxpro and good rifles.

In Iowa I have had similar luck as you. January and February real slow and then March much better. The dog hunters and 4x4 hunters really stir things up in January and Feb and make hunting much more difficult in my areas. Once the snow is gone and spring rolls around those hunters are done and calling is much better. Our deer shotgun season in December takes a toll on the coyotes too.

Imo they are pairing up that time of year. Your calls might not be heard at all by the coyote since say half have moved to another location.

Coyotes are characteristically harder to call in Jan. and Feb. for any number of reasons. They go through seasonal cycles every year and act and interact differently for each. Around here that time of year is mating season and they have other things on their minds. Plus they have been heavily pressured by then. Learn their seasonal tendencies and use those to your advantage and your success rate should increase. Look back at some posts on here from those months and see what tactics others were using. Congrats on your retirement and welcome to PM.

I'm similar to You WT... It seems the Coyotes don't respond good when it's real cold and my best times are in the Fall (Oct,Nov & Dec) then it seems Feb is fair and March is even better.I must admit I see and call in more during the Summer Months while Coyote Hunting Mowed or fresh cut Hay Fields!
wink.gif

Thank you all for your replies and thanks for the welcome. Im glad to hear you guys have had some similar luck. yeah I overhunt some areas. try to move around but need more spots. We have alot of yotes here near I-70 in Ill/IN. If you can't find your deer in the evening heel be ate up by morning. Fawns are being born here already. Had luck yesterday morning turkey hunting....didn't see any turkeys but a male yote came in and the 2 1/4 oz of #4s from the 10 ga. did him in at 35 yds. WoooHOOO Wish I knew how to put the pic on here. thanks again guys. Shoot straight.

Way to go William....as mentioned You probably saved a Fawn from being killed by another Coyote!

We're finally allowed to shoot a Coyote during Turkey Season,it seems they like coming to the Calls while the Hunters are trying to tag a Turkey it draws in the Predators as well.Certsin Rules apply like Shotgun Only and having an Un-filled Turkey Tag or having a Small Game Tag or Trapper License.....lots of Red Tape!
wink.gif

Any ways our Official Coyote Season starts back up on Monday May 11 and I will be using several Fawn Sounds on my Shockwave Caller to draw in the Coyotes,I usually keep my Caller up off the ground by keeping some Camo String on it and tying it on a small sapling or Cedar tree or even on a Big Ol around Bale of Hay because I don't want it stomped or damaged by an Angry Doe trying to protect it's Fawn or chase off a Coyote they hear attacking a Fawn from the sound off the Caller....and I've had several Protective Doe's coming running out angry and stomping running towards my Caller and some times fairly close to Me and my Hunting Partner so we try to sit in a safe protective area and far enough away from the Caller to be out of danger!

William. Welcome to Predator Masters forum. I've also noticed they are smarter or just more allusive in January andFebuary.
Over 1100 grains of shot! Wow, does your 10 bore kick much. ???
scared.gif

Last edited:
36" extra full barrel. would like to get it cut off about a foot and a good choke installed. itl kill turkeys and yotes but its not nearly as tight as the turkey guns.

William,

I hunt west central Illinois and have experienced same thing. I hunt when ever I can which is all year in IL but have had most success in late winter early spring. Blessings on your retirement!

Back