Gotta love the "THWAP" sound of a vmax

g Bo

Here's how it happened... Things lined up in the afternoon at work today. I was feeling the excitement building up abit as I thought about The possibility I might get out for a stand or two this afternoon/evening. As I drove home I was running the options through my mind as to where to go. We've all been there, thinking about past spots we've been to and had sucess. Oh! But then you think about that place you saw on Google earth last night. Where to go? That is the question. But as always we follow our gut feelings, sometimes they're right and sometimes there not. I decided to stay close to home so I didn't waste time driving.

Got home checked with my awesome wife (of 35 years) it was a definite go. Changed clothes, loaded the 4wheeler in the back of the truck and headed out. The first stand was a blank except for the 875,000 mosquitos. Although I've discovered those mesh kill suits save you from being an involuntary blood donor. I put good repellant on my face, wear gloves and no bites. It sure makes for frustrated mosquitoes and comfort for me.

The cloud cover was getting darker and darker and looked like a storm was brewing. I went to the next stand. It didn't look like near as good of a spot as my last one but I thought, "what the heck, I'll walk in anyway". I got set up against a sage brush on abit of a knoll, with a new hay field to my left and greasewood brush on the other three sides. The wind was blowing from my right to left. That made it impossible for me to be winded buy the big male when he came in.

I stared calling... Used some bird distress, vocals, 5 different kiyis (both mouth and electronic) for about 40 minutes. It looked pretty bleak. Thought I would actually be silly enough to use the oldest WORNOUT trick in the book! YEP! The rabbit and no fancy wabbit just go old Jack himself, full bore, loud as heck. One minute later I spooted him trotting into the jack rabbit call. He stopped at about 150 yards out to check out the situation. I softened the sound way down and bumped it again. He started trotting again kinda towards me on an angle. As you know when they're trotting on the move is the time to set the rock River on the shooting sticks and get moved into position. He stopped again at 95 yards full frontal view. Every so lightly gave the trigger a squeeze and you guessed it "THWAP"!

That's nice...down here we high winds... Forecast show high winds the rest of the week... Some good looking company you got there Gary...

Congrats

I heard it strike at 328 Yds on Saturday. It's interesting how the sound works. Saturday I was in a big open canyon with an Echo. It was about like a 22 long rifle but the acoustics of the canyon made the sound of the strike travel back it me as good as the suppressed shot traveled away from the gun.

On the other hand last night I was on the flat ground surrounded by brush and the report from the rock river was extremely quiet and the strike very loud. One thing for sure so far there is no mistake it makes when you have a good hit.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That's nice...down here we high winds... Forecast show high winds the rest of the week... Some good looking company you got there Gary...

Congrats
+1 on congrats
and..........yeah............I'm not seeing any hunting windows opening up around here until maybe next week
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: g BoOne thing for sure so far there is no mistake it makes when you have a good hit.

^^^Exactly

And one more fun aspect of silencers.

Sendit

Good job on keeping the "season" going! When I send my buddy a pic of a dead coyote outside of the prime time for furs, he always angrily texts back, "That's another fur you won't have next winter!" Or, when I shoot a YOY or pup, "You gotta let 'em grow up!"

As for the THWAP! Before I switched to doubled-up ear pro, I could usually hear the thump on deer, elk, and coyotes, but only on a good solid hit. The sound would get kinda rolled into the blast from the gunshot, but it was still there. Now that I have tinnitus and "major" hearing loss in my left ear, I always have ear pro on. I guess I need to start saving for a suppressor as well. One more thing to buy!

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHHaha cool. You mean with a suppressor you can actually hear the bullet strike at 100yds?!

We call it the "wet cabbage." In the right wind conditions you can hear it without a suppressor if you get a solid hit. A suppressor just highlights the sound.

Nice setup/pic. Sure nice to have some semi-open country making it possible to play the wind direction. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Regards,
hm

Nice job! Especially here in Utah. Curious what part because my usual go to locations are so tough and dry right now.

Back