New Hand Call Works Without a Breath!

shankbone

My name is Shankbone...and I'm addicted to hand calls.
smile.gif
My collection isn't as big as most of the collectors on here, but I added a new commercial call last weekend while waiting for some custom calls from Rare Earth and Oregon310.

I coach track and our season ended on Friday, so I didn't have to host a Sunday clinic and had a little time to test out my new call. I headed down to a place a call "Coyote Canyon," which is a miles-long draw that connects two ranches I have access to. While taking a short cut to the middle of the first ranch, I spotted a coyote about 500 yards off to my right, up on the hillside. I'm no Chris Kyle, so I stopped my rig and through my binoculars, watched the large adult coyote watch me before loping off up over the ridge and out of sight.

I thought about circling around to the west of the coyote, but the nearest road was 1.5 miles away from the CRP that the coyote had disappeared into--and there is no way to hide a rig over there, so I continued to my destination. I parked and started the long walk in to a spot I had called in one coyote and spotted another in about four different trips.

98017682-E931-4CA2-A8B6-323571161425_zps4a7g6fdb.jpg

I carried my sling seat with my calls and Mojo Critter stuffed in the mesh pocket, and my other hand held my Trigger Sticks tri-pod, which I love for elk and deer hunting, but I think I want to upgrade(downgrade?) to the bipod version for predator hunting. With my hands full, I hiked up out of the sagebrush-choked draw to the edge of farmer's field and started walking through the cheet grass at the edge of the field. A crosswind was blowing from my left to right, so my hopes were up for making it to the stand without getting winded first.

About a quarter-mile into my walk I saw two ears poke up out of the grass in a little dip in the landscape about 50 yards in front of me. I quickly dropped to one knee as the coyote jerked his head in my direction and took a step forward, exposing his chest. I gently set down my tripod and chair, trying not to spook the coyote. I had just put an Ultimate Sling rifle sling on my rifle and I had it in the backpack configuration, with one strap over each shoulder, so it took me a second to get the rifle to my shoulder. I worried that the coyote would bolt down into the draw, put when I popped my scope cover, he was still staring right at me. I thumbed the safety, centered the crosshairs, and--breaking tradition--squeezed instead of jerked the trigger.

After the blast, I could see one of his legs kick up over the grass, and then slowly fall. Now that the rush of adrenaline was over, I could tell that he was much closer than I had initially thought, maybe 30-35 yards away. At that moment I had a small pang of regret because I had my G29 in my chest holster and I probably could've made the shot with my pistol--but in split second, my mind went to my go-to gun. I'm no Chris Kyle with a rifle, and I'm certainly no Elmer Keith with a pistol, so it's probably better that I went to the rifle.

Here's where the little guy lay and a pic of my rifle. I'm really digging the Browning X-Bolt. The .243 58g Winchester ballistic tip ammo did not exit and certainly dropped this guy with authority, but a .22LR would've sufficed at this range.

16D279A2-D7A4-4276-AA4D-570D2A2BCB9E_zpsazxmwq0s.jpg

He was certainly young and dumb and I would've preferred to have taken him this coming December, but there's no shortage of coyotes around here, and I have to hunt coyote year-round to keep my access to some of the places I hunt, this spot included.

59614019-FEB0-40BB-B0F4-0C5FFD3934C2_zpsxzlcsmyp.jpg

I went ahead and hiked on to the spot I planned to test my new call, as it was still another 1/4 of a mile from where I shot. The call--a Circe--sounded "good" but not great, so I was glad I only spent $10 on it. The stand was dry, but I had a great view and it looked promising (as you can see in the landscape photo above).

I stripped the tail off the coyote to add to my collection for a friendly competition I have with one of my hunting partners. My little jack russel loves to tear 'em up. On the drive out, I stopped and did a few locator howls while enjoying the moon climbing up over the hills. I didn't get any responses, but I had a long drive ahead of me, so I was probably too impatient on my wait times.

A8974C75-E22B-426F-A148-91B7E08F9C83_zpsgaobjnjo.jpg

Here's the sling I was using. It really does a great job holding my rifle on my bony little shoulders and it is certainly lighter than the Claw sling I was using earlier. Ultimate Sling

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed the hunt and pictures! Especially the first one; wish we had some rolling semi-open areas down here.

By the way, is that "cheet grass" in the coyote picture? Appears to be planted in rows. Have heard the term before and often wondered what it was??

Quote:I think I want to upgrade(downgrade?) to the bipod version for predator hunting.

I've never used a tripod, but think you'll be very pleased w/a bipod for coyote hunting.

Regards,
hm

I misspelled cheAtgrass.
crazy.gif

What's planted in the rows is wheat.

The cheat grass is an invasive that fills in the edges and grows in large patches in the sagebrush country around here. In the spring you can walk through the cheat without much problems.

Cheatgrass-Shelton_zpseocskhye.jpg

In the late summer, when it is mature and dry, it causes a lot of problems for hiking shoes with any mesh.

cheatgrass%20in%20shoes_zps6limwt8g.jpg

It makes it worth your while to wear gaiters, or high leather boots without an open tongue. It will absolutely ruin a pair of socks or shoes. The seed heads worm into the nylon of the shoes and break of, creating little toothpick-like tips that poke your feet.

We got that cheat here as well... I usually blouse my pants into my boots... Less dead skin falling out and less ticks crawling in
scared.gif

Thanks, shank. Your picture looks much like an invasive grass I have in my front yard but mine doesn't have quite as much of a head on it. (Never had wheat down here either until a year or so ago.)

Regards,
hm

they call it cheat grass because it has no nutritional value so the animal eating it is getting cheated out of food value.

Don't you hate those stickers in your socks. I stopped wearing shoes and boots that would allow them to collect through the mesh in my boots or get into my socks too. I only wear high top leather (danner) boots now even in the summer. One time last year I sat in a haystack to call, when it got light I discovered the haystack was really a bailed up bunch of cheat grass. I was wearing one of my mesh kill suits it was so full of cheat grass it took me about six solid hours to pick them all out.

Nice pics and story

Don't you hate those stickers in your socks. I stopped wearing shoes and boots that would allow them to collect through the mesh in my boots or get into my socks too. I only wear high top leather (danner) boots now even in the summer. One time last year I sat in a haystack to call, when it got light I discovered the haystack was really a bailed up bunch of cheat grass. I was wearing one of my mesh kill suits it was so full of cheat grass it took me about six solid hours to pick them all out.

Nice pics and story

Good story and even better with pics. Cheatgrass is a given here too, along with a few others. I think there is 8 varieties of goatheads.
The sage brush is very dry already on this water short year. The ticks are thick.

I went on P.D. hunt with my son last year and was wearing mesh tennis shoes. (He never mentioned hunting boots) My feet looked like yours. It took 2 days and then some to get it all out. Lesson learned. I'm still waiting to get back a my son. On the bright side the hunt was good and loved to be out with my son and grandson. Rudy

Congratulations! Great story and pictures. I too shoot a .243 Win. for coyotes and love the .58 grain Hornady VMAX ammunition for the uber flat trajectory. I have the sling and like it too.

Nice job on the coyote. I think you made the right choice with not going for the pistol. Although a more epic story it would have made, that's still a long shot for a pistol from what I understand. Thanks for the post!

Back