gobble stalker!

lon0121

Sat down yesterday morning as sunlight burned the horizon " very beautiful" As the gobbles started up my butt was parked along the side of a aging yet subtle pine tree base. Hen decoy set out i worked the turkey choir. Had gobbles to my immediate left that after 15 mins instantly went quiet after i heard him fly down. Behind me in an overgrown field i heard about 3 toms gobbling so i decided to sit closer. Got up to get 100 yds closer i heard a crash in the thick tall grass and seen a coyote running through, stopped dead ahead of me broadside. I raised the mossberg and as i did she looked right at me, put the Bushnell red dot trs-25 right behind the shoulder and she dropped stone dead. federal no 5 turkey load...she was at 30 yards. she was heavy probably a nut hair under 30 maybe 25 pounds. IM guessing she was headed to those gobblers as she stopped and listened while heading that way.
2bq6as.jpg

iUgVCE.jpg

vKiXFv.jpg

I love seein' pics of coyotes from different regions, definitely some different builds out there. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad you couldn't have waited to see the action.
One time two of us were on a bear stand and I shot a bear charging a bull elk. Talking later I regretted not allowing it to happen.

Saving the Turkeys for the real hunters, Man. I'd shoot a coyotes in that situation also. The reason I chose to start trying to hunt coyotes was because they kill a lot of game animals that we want to hunt for food. We humans are the top dog and the coyotes should stick with eating mice and grasshoppers and forest tree seeds etc. When they start killing the rabbits, quail and other small game then they are on my HIT LIST. I don't know if I'll save the fur or not. I'm not skilled at skinning coyotes and I also hear that they smell bad. And they carry fleas and ticks that carry disease. Those fleas probably will hop onto the human as he goes to pick up his coyote and carry it back to his truck. As the coyotes body goes cold they will jump off and look for a new host. Which is why I would rather just shoot the and let them lay where the fall and rot or get eaten by other critters. Now if I'm allowed to hunt on someone's property and they want the carcass hauled off I'll have to bide by their wishes or not hunt that property anymore.

I'm not going any where today as I've got a summer cold and don't feel like going outside. I've waited for this good weather for months and when it arrives I get a [beeep] cold. Zicam is helping some. My nose is raw from blowing it so much. Even soft Kleenex Tissue with Aloe Vera in it is not helping my nose. I feel like my nose is a faucet running with a drip drip drip 24/7. I hate summer colds.

Good job! My buddies all think I am crazy that I will shoot a coyote even when there are birds working. A bit off topic, but how do you like that bushnell red dot? Thought about putting one of those or the Mueller quick shot on my 500 but didn't know how they hold up.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: tripod3Too bad you couldn't have waited to see the action.
One time two of us were on a bear stand and I shot a bear charging a bull elk. Talking later I regretted not allowing it to happen.

I was floating a river in Alaska with clients when I saw my partner in the boat in front of us point to a patch of alders along the riverbank downstream of us. I had just made out the cow and calf moose he was pointing at when a golden brown blur darted out of the bushes and disappeared with the calf, like "YOINK!" It happened so quick I wasn't sure what I had seen. The lead boat was MUCH closer and got a front row viewing. Mamma moose just swam out into the river, headed downstream, and then crossed to the other side, like she was thinking, "Well, no more babysitting for me."

Originally Posted By: lon0121Red dot is awesome...best for the money.

Thanks guys!

Lonnie

Might have to give one of them a try. Thanks!

Shelton

I of course shot some dove loads to pattern the gun, quickly switched to federal no 5 turkey loads and have not lost zero. I am very happy with it. The bushnell trs-25 is a solid beast! Now i need to get those gobbler i was working all morning the other day lol.

Lonnie

The red Dot i had on my ar15 is the bushnell trs-32, I love it because it co-witnessed my front sight. I was so happy with it i went ahead and got the bushnell trs-25 for my shotgun which i harvested the coyote with. Both are sturdy and tough. The red dot in the trs-25 is a little more superior all around IMO!.
qGUsmw.jpg

JStnfO.jpg
nhiCP3.jpg

Is the 25 pretty good in low light or does the dot kinda wash the sight picture? Sorry for turning this into an optics thread hah!

Shelton

The trs 25 seems to do very well in low light, i leave it on the lowest brightness at dawn. I believe its 3 moa with 11 brightness settings....i never go past 4. the trs 32 has a 5 moa red dot.

Lonnie

Back