bolt touching scope. i

ohihunter2014

just purchased a savage axis 2 heavy barrel with vortex scope and burris med rings. the problem is the bolt it hitting the scope by like millimeters. I have an original axis with medium weaver rings and the bolt doesn't touch that scope so what gives. also the bolt seems loose in the action.

you seem to have more problems than a pregnant nun.
smile.gif

the easy solution to this one is put taller rings on it.

What kind of scope is on the original? There are two things that come into play with your setup that I am aware of...1) The bolt throw on the axis seems to be pretty high so it will run close to the scope. 2) Vortex eye pieces are larger than most other brands (from what I have seen). The objective on my Diamondback 4-12x40 is 48mm and the eye piece is 42.5 mm so the bolt is real close with a weaver one piece base and Warne medium rings. I have no experience with the crossfire II but I ASSUME it would be a similar situation. JMO.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitYou can heat and bend the bolt handle.

Only if there's allowance at the bottom end of the stroke for it to fit once bent.

This is an incredibly extreme solution for a very simple fix though. Taller rings, problem solved.

I know I can get taller rings but that would bring it up higher for my liking.. I just didn't understand how the same gun with the same rings had an issue and one didn't.

cant take the scope back cause the bolt put marks on it. ill just swap rings for higher ones. other scope is bushnell banner.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyou seem to have more problems than a pregnant nun.
smile.gif

the easy solution to this one is put taller rings on it.

and you are correct. it seems this rifle has been nothing but an issue. bad scope, wont eject, bolt wont move, etc.

You need to look at a different brand ring. They are not all the same height. Medium rings from one brand may be slightly higher or shorter from one brand to the next. You may be able to get a little more scope height with out adding that much taller scope rings. Just do some searching on midway usa.

^^^ Like he said they can vary. I have noticed that Warne maximas seem to sit a bit higher than others I have used. I now have Warnes on all my rifle except 1. Midway has them on sale now too. Just bought a set of 30mm lows for my 22-250 and work great. I use mediums for the 1" tube scopes. It may or may not fix your issue but it is worth a look. Good luck!

Shelton

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I know I can get taller rings but that would bring it up higher for my liking.. I just didn't understand how the same gun with the same rings had an issue and one didn't.

cant take the scope back cause the bolt put marks on it. ill just swap rings for higher ones. other scope is bushnell banner.

Different scopes on each gun and different rings on each gun do not equate to "the same gun with the same rings had an issue and one didn't."

It always pays to pull up the manufacturer's specs before ordering/buying something new...Most companies that deal with optics and accessories will give exact dimensions of each part of a given item...Then it's up to you to evaluate how/if they meet your specific needs...

With the advent and use of toll free numbers, a simple phone call obviates a lot of problems through most customer service departments....

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014^^ same gun as in savage 223 bolt gun and medium rings. didn't know different makers medium rings were different sizes.

Scopes ocular bells (eye pieces) come in different sizes also. This is where your problems lie with the bolt handle hitting the scope. When you use different rings and different scopes on same same rifles, there may be problems like you found.

People are trying to help with your learning. It's pretty fundamental and it's definitely not rocket surgery.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: jumprightinitYou can heat and bend the bolt handle.

Only if there's allowance at the bottom end of the stroke for it to fit once bent.

This is an incredibly extreme solution for a very simple fix though. Taller rings, problem solved.

If it doesn't clear the stock with just bending the inner part of the bolt handle the lower part can be bent outward. Not very extreme and basically no cost if you have a acetylene torch or access to one. You could have a hundred bucks into a good set of scope mounts.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014^^ same gun as in savage 223 bolt gun and medium rings. didn't know different makers medium rings were different sizes.

'medium' is subjective.

Can you move the scope back and still have enough eye relief? If not buy higher mounts? You will get it figured out. Lots of excellent information on this site.

Back