Speaking of Badgers

tripod3

I got a peek at this one Pic #1 in the same neighborhood as pic #2 where he competes with pic #3 very close to home.

[img:center]
v5lj0w.jpg
[/img]

2qdob40.jpg
[/img]

2lkg1vr.jpg
[/img]

Thanks guys, these are all taken within minutes of my house. Badgers are tough and I have a learned history with them. I have spent many hours trying to get a coyote with prey, only succeeding a few times.

thumbup.gif

Great pics. What camera do you use? I ask as I would like to know what a good entry level camera would be for wildlife photography.

Originally Posted By: Big_Foot
thumbup.gif

Great pics. What camera do you use? I ask as I would like to know what a good entry level camera would be for wildlife photography.
I have been using Sony for awhile and like the colors. All major companies make good cameras these days. Sony is very intuitive to me and another make is to someone else.
If I can pick one up in a store and do most changes without a manual then it is a candidate.
For wildlife I believe the lens is more important than the camera.

Those are great pictures. I see badger holes everywhere, but never any badgers. (Maybe they aren't badger holes I am seeing?)

Those are all excellent pictures, especially the pup w/prey, tripod. Do you use auto focus?

I recently switched to a smaller camera because I found that I was missing way too many photo-ops because my camera was back in the jeep. I'm sure that I'm sacrificing some quality, but getting a lot more memories in exchange.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: shankboneThose are great pictures. I see badger holes everywhere, but never any badgers. (Maybe they aren't badger holes I am seeing?)
Badgers are low profile and elusive mostly nocturnal. Their holes are obvious from a distance and they are constantly digging and don't hibernate. One badger will dig a bunch of holes then move and come back later.
Most badgers I find in the late afternoon. Last year I wheeled my chair up to ones hole and snapped his pic with my phone(risky)

Originally Posted By: hm1996Those are all excellent pictures, especially the pup w/prey, tripod. Do you use auto focus?

I recently switched to a smaller camera because I found that I was missing way too many photo-ops because my camera was back in the jeep. I'm sure that I'm sacrificing some quality, but getting a lot more memories in exchange.

Regards,
hm
Yes I count on auto focus and use spot setting often. This requires accurate aim too.
Some of my photos are with a smaller superzoom which gives a decent pic. Some days the bigger lens is a burden to pack. Like a rifle a tripod or rest and steady trigger finger help the photo.

I figured you were using an SLR camera.

My little Canon SX260HS w/20X optical zoom and 80X digital is not near the camera the SLR's are, but it is always on my belt as it is slightly smaller than my smart phone and just under 1" thick.

I try to use less telephoto, but sometimes use the 80x, obviously losing clarity.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Tripod, if you don't mind, specifically what model Sony camera do you use, and what lens?
I have several but the Sony A580 often. Along with a handful of lenses ranging from 18-600. I like the G lenses best.

Back