lowest cost AR contest

robjacobs

With the current pricing of AR's and their components, it would be interesting to see some low budget builds. The cheapest complete guns (new) that I'm seeing are just under $500. I'm seeing stripped lowers in the $50-$60 range. I just purchased one for $59 & tax, but I've seen even cheaper.

With 5 kids my gun budget has taken a hit or at least gone to getting them started in firearms. So what has been your cheapest build recently with new components, or how good a deal have you gotten on a complete rifle? How happy have you been with your budget AR? Personally I haven't had any real problems with any of my AR's including the cheap ones. Maybe I haven't been hard enough on them.

I just built this one for 515

it is a mix of psa, anderson, and other parts with an nib carrier

built it for my ladies first rifle to get her into it. if she don't like it i won't have much in it.

Cheap stuff isn't always "good" but there are some good deals floating around for sure, especially if you already have the tools to assemble an upper receiver.

We've been selling a ton of these combos for a "turn key" setup with no install required:

New Frontier Complete Polymer Lower-$109.95 w/ free shipping

Radical 16" 5.56 Complete Upper Receiver with Seekins MCSR Handguard-$399.95 w/ free shipping

That combo is right at $510 shipped without any install required, and a $200 FreeFloat Handguard already installed.

Hard to beat this... (you don't even need to put it together)

PSA complete rifle for $399
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/19863/s/ptac-ar15-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-complete-rifle/?utm_source=PTAC+and+Del-Ton+AR-15s+for+%24399.99+%7C+Deals+on+PSA+BCG+and+308+Rifle+Kit&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Delton complete rifle for $399
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/19915/s/del-ton-rifle-dt-sport-lite-16-5-56-lw-dtsportlt/?utm_source=PTAC+and+Del-Ton+AR-15s+for+%24399.99+%7C+Deals+on+PSA+BCG+and+308+Rifle+Kit&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishexcept for a complete rifle for $399

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...6-lw-dtsportlt/

Is there an echo in here...
lol.gif
Thanks for the hotlink.

I just saw the complete guns for $399 after I started this. That's the lowest I've seen. One is a slick side and I'm not a fan of those personally. Joe Bob mentioned something I was thinking when I started this and that is, that price point isn't always the best value.

Wanting to do an AR for 5 kids at once though, price point is everything. I figured I could get them entry level guns and let them upgrade parts as they grow up ;-)

On a side note. I was heading back east in January to do some hunting expos. I stopped for lunch in Kansas and was reading a local paper. I saw an ad for Joe Bob Outfitters and it just happened to be in the town we were eating. I stopped by and browsed but it was the week of SHOT show so I wasn't able to meet you Joe Bob.

Originally Posted By: robjacobsOn a side note. I was heading back east in January to do some hunting expos. I stopped for lunch in Kansas and was reading a local paper. I saw an ad for Joe Bob Outfitters and it just happened to be in the town we were eating. I stopped by and browsed but it was the week of SHOT show so I wasn't able to meet you Joe Bob.

Its a small world sometimes! I (and a few employees) travel quite a bit to buying shows in January and February. I'm typically on the road more time than I am at home during those months.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThey are out of stock and may not get them again for that price as they were clearance.

Based on what I know of the supply chain situations I'd be surprised if they offer that again as they weren't making much on it. That's stupid cheap for a rifle, assuming its made with decent US components and the 11% Excise Tax is paid.

This isn't the first time I've seen them have $399 AR's. It's not common, but not exactly rare these days either. If you have patience, get on their email list & pay attention to them. If you see one & want it, don't wait.

Last edited:
to joeboboutfitters... Radical 16" 5.56 Complete Upper Receiver with Seekins MCSR Handguard

what does "SOCOM" in the description mean? i know it stands for United States Special Operations Command. but what makes the upper different from one that looks just like it but does not say anything about SOCOM?

is that the barrel profile? thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersCheap stuff isn't always "good" but there are some good deals floating around for sure, especially if you already have the tools to assemble an upper receiver.

We've been selling a ton of these combos for a "turn key" setup with no install required:

Radical 16" 5.56 Complete Upper Receiver with Seekins MCSR Handguard-$399.95 w/ free shipping

That combo is right at $510 shipped without any install required, and a $200 FreeFloat Handguard already installed.

I have the upper and lower in these links, and I have been satisfied with the results. Very good for the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersCheap stuff isn't always "good" but there are some good deals floating around for sure, especially if you already have the tools to assemble an upper receiver.

This is a great price for known parts from a reputable dealer.

The same lower with a SOTA arms complete upper for $335 shipped is a close second. Haven't heard anything good or bad about SOTA so it's a roll of the dice.

I bought the Plum Crazy, now New Frontier, lower from JoeBob and a DPMS Oracle upper from Midway. My total cost with shipping, taxes, and registration is $550. The rifle is consistently sub-moa. My greatest fear was spending that much money and getting a rifle that was a poor shooter, but boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotto joeboboutfitters...

what does "SOCOM" in the description mean?

is that the barrel profile? thanks.

Yes, that's referencing the barrel profile. There are a few "variations" of the "SOCOM" profile but basically they are an HBAR profile with a slightly smaller outer diameter of the barrel near the muzzle. You can barely see it in most photos of complete uppers with a SOCOM profile barrel.

Back