Weatherman Correctly Predicts a Great day for Predator Hunting

hm1996

Staff member
The weather man was predicting the arrival of what probably will be the last norther of the season around midnight last Tuesday. It was expected to result in daytime temperatures dropping from the low 90’s down to low 70’s the following day and around 55 that night with winds laying to 5-10 in the afternoon. Additionally, moonrise would be about 3 hours before sunset with a ¾ full moon. It just don’t get too much better than that!

Besides, I have been really anxious to look at a coyote through the Burris E1 on the M4gery that I recently built, so I just had to give it a shot.

We have had a really wet winter for a change and the grass and beautiful wildflowers are too tall to see a coyote except on some roadways or the few areas that have been mowed fairly recently.

The first stand, I set up facing south on a two track which runs north and south alongside a heavy brushline, placing the Mojo and Foxpro in the center of the roadway. My partner set up about 30 yards behind me, overlooking a caliche road which intersects the two track at a right angle. We expected any coyotes to approach either from the north, giving my partner a shot as they crossed the open roadway, or from that strip of heavy brush bordering the two track where I hoped to be able to see them in the high grass.

38438309134_94bb54b811_c.jpg

When I sat down, the wind was out of the northwest, but wouldn’t ya know, about half way through the stand it switched and was blowing almost straight down the roadway. I decided to give it a little longer, however, as my partner still had a decent chance for a shot.

I was surprised at the 25 minute mark by a coyote which stepped out at about 350 yards, looking toward the call. He was standing at the spot marked by the 200 yard hash mark in the Burris Fullfield E1 3x9 scope. I held off on the shot, hoping he would come on in, but he probably got into the edge of my scent cone and disappeared into the high grass on the left side of the road. But hey, calling in a coyote on the first stand is always a good sign and the day was still young.

38438305454_8e2a7a0a68_c.jpg

We made two dry stands, both complicated by the high grass combined with road/wind directions before heading for an area of the ranch that is a bit salty which tends to stunt the grass. As we expected, the grass was short enough that we would be able to see anything approaching over a wide expanse dotted with a few bushes and trees while taking advantage of a cross wind as well. We set up in the shade of a treeline and placed the decoy against the tree line to our right about 60-70 yards east. The wind was back out of the North, Northwest. We have high expectations, as we have taken a number of coyotes over the years, usually approaching from the brush on the left.

27368711039_ec16b18e63_c.jpg

I first cranked out a female invitational howl, followed with bird distress and then switched to high pitch snowshoe at the fifteen minute mark. The snowshoe did it! A reddish brown spot became visible almost immediately, racing out of the strip of brush on the left and trotting right up to the decoy.

34818716334_aeaf75a335_c.jpg

Bobcats are protected on this ranch, but a live bobcat picture trumps a dead coyote any day in my book, so grabbed my camera, getting it out as he approached the call….

34818717934_5466a9ac65_c.jpg

…and was trying to figure out what that strange sound was. He’s quite a chunk; look at the creases in his neck.

34818717264_d166edd9f3_c.jpg

He didn’t admire his “catch” very long, retracing his approach route. I tried to catch a picture through my scope but he was moving at a fast walk, so I was unable to get the crosshairs properly centered while juggling my camera. Really could have used another hand…..oh well, you get the idea.

He stopped at the brush line on the left in second photo from top for one last look back
before disappearing into the brush from whence he came.

We had time for one more stand before dark and had a pack answer my lonesome female howl but did not make their appearance before last light. The end of a near perfect day was punctuated by the fading sun reflecting on a mesquite brushline; nearly as memorable as a beautiful South Texas sunset and serves equally well as a reminder to all that God is in His heaven.

34889377733_26c644a7f3_c.jpg

Regards,
hm
1689.gif

Great pictures and write-up. I wanted to go hunting myself during that little cold snap but too much stuff going on to cut loose.

Cool pics and a great recap! Now, I'm not from Texas and we don't have a lot of bobs here (Oregon? Yes. My immediate area? No.), but why are you not allowed to shoot bobcats on that ranch?

Originally Posted By: shankboneCool pics and a great recap! Now, I'm not from Texas and we don't have a lot of bobs here (Oregon? Yes. My immediate area? No.), but why are you not allowed to shoot bobcats on that ranch?

I hunt on several ranches that do not allow you to shoot Bobcats.

Its called the Golden Rule.... he/she who has the Gold(owns the ranch)makes the rules!
lol.gif

This was one of those places called 4 in one afternoon and a half a night. Got pictures of a couple

Oklahoma has got a short season for cats... Dec. 1- Feb 28... Coyote is year round but cats and other fur bearers get to walk outside of those 3 months... Tip my hat to all you who are able to get good pics of them...

Clarence,

A bobcat pic does trump a dead coyote any day.... Sometimes you can easily get all caught up trying to get in more stands... Start thinking about the next stand while 15 or 20 minutes into the stand you are on... Get caught up in a rush and forget to notice the things that show us "God is in His heaven." He shares increments of his heaven for those who take the time to see... I still love the thrill of the kill/blood and all, but the spaces in between mean more as I age....

There is a saying;

"Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift; that's why they call it the Present"

Your write-up has some powerful words... Good pics as well... Thanks for the ride along...

jeREMy

Gotta hate those wind changes after you've sat down. Great write up. I'm jealous. I've yet to see a bobcat other than running in front of my car to cross the road.....

Originally Posted By: shankbone why are you not allowed to shoot bobcats on that ranch?

This landowner manages his ranches first hand and takes his predator control quite seriously. I'm sure he has his reasons for protecting cats. Thankfully, coyotes, not so much.
smile.gif

I have been privileged to do ADC work for him for the past 12 years; a trapper works year round on all 3 ranches, as well.

He has a number of exotics, some smaller ones that are particularly vulnerable to depredation and in the sections of two ranches inhabited by these, I am allowed to take bobcats on sight. I am assuming that he doesn't feel they are a threat elsewhere on his property.

They do a helicopter game survey twice/year on each ranch with a game biologist who suggests what/how many animals should be harvested. Based on this info he has occasionally asked that I shoot certain cats that have become a problem in other areas.

Yes, flintrock, it is exceptionally green this year following a long drought!

Originally Posted By: venatic Its called the Golden Rule.... he/she who has the Gold(owns the ranch)makes the rules! lol

Love that quote, David, also that first bobcat picture. Have seen this many times, but, as you know, getting the camera out in time to catch them is usually not so easy.

Once in a while, you'll get one that wants to pose for the camera, but in the 12 years I've been privileged to hunt these ranches, this one takes the cake. He came out and spotted me fumbling for my camera immediately. Guess the slow movements didn't alarm him as he finally took a few steps, sat down a while, then slowly walked off toward the FoxPro. He must have been 30 yards in front of me for at least 15 minutes. I know I had time to take 30-40 pictures.
grin.gif

35620198356_50f386affd_c.jpg

35491001512_93fd4a93dd_c.jpg

35620190026_4facd03825_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: InfadelHe shares increments of his heaven for those who take the time to see... I still love the thrill of the kill/blood and all, but the spaces in between mean more as I age....

There is a saying;

"Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift; that's why they call it the Present"

The "spaces in between" offer a great opportunity to reminisce; seems to be one of my favorite pass times, the older I get.
lol.gif
Every day is a gift Jeremy, a fact that I have come to appreciate more and more with each passing day.

Thanks for all the kind remarks, guys; happy to share my afternoon and always look forward to reading about your adventures.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: tripod3I'm envious of the pic opportunity.

Ya, tripod, I do love to take pictures. All this talk about bobcats brought back some of my favorite memories. This is the first bobcat I remember calling in.

He was crossing the road about half mile away and I didn't think he's seen me but didn't have time to find parking place and set up, so pulled pickup into some thin brush, stuck my head out the window and puffed away on a Hayden bunny tube. He made a beeline down center of road, finally sitting down about 30 yards out to contemplate that big hunter green rabbit hiding in the bushes:

He finally walked close enough to disappear below my hood just after I snapped this shot through the windshield:

You can see the barrel of my 338 WM and facemask on dashboard. Yeah, I know the 338 is not fur friendly, but this was a protected cat and I was hunting nilgai at the time anyway.
smile.gif

Then there was this odd couple which was my first double!

Called in the bobcat in an unprotected pasture and dropped him as he ran out of heavy brush and stopped in center of the road, 100 yds out. Left the call running (Bird or rabbit distress?) and within two or three minutes the coyote ran out of same trail, looking back over his shoulder in my direction as he tripped over the bobcat. He stopped and looked back to see what had tripped him and met his demise. Strangest double I have ever taken.

Another time, the landowner had asked me to shoot any bobcat I spotted in a certain pasture as he had found Thompson Gazelle remains four feet up in a mesquite tree and was not a happy camper. I was hunting just outside that pasture one night and called in a BIG cat, but since my instructions were "IN", not "NEAR", I passed the shot and told the owner. He didn't comment, so I assumed I had done the right thing.

Two days later, while doing a helicopter game count, the owner & game biologist spotted the big cat and biologist said, "You really need to take that cat out; he's doing you a lot of harm." Got my orders shortly and knew where he lived so once a week, I set up around a thick mott and tried different calls and setups. Took me 6 months to catch up with him but I finally did one evening.

Spotted this one chasing three bucks one afternoon and went back next morning and arranged a change of address for him.

I kinda like hunting ranches where cats are protected in some parts (makes for more photo-ops) and not in others (keeps life interesting).

Regards,
hm

That is something to call in a cat during daylight to your truck... I like that mount, really shows off the belly colors... Is that AR a RRA Predator Pursuit?

I was surprised that it came right up to the truck, too, Jeremy.

I called three cats in one night, one walked up right beside the truck and the other 2 hung up about 40-50 yds out. The one was really comical, he stood right under my swivel chair lookin' up as if wondering how that rabbit got up that "tree". Unfortunately, they were protected in that pasture.

The mount is in our entry foyer and the only problem with it is that everyone just has to pet it on the way by.

Rifle is a Bushmaster Predator. Really likes 55 gr. NBT's. Stock except for a 3# Timney single stage trigger.

Regards,
hm

The past couple of weeks have seen spotty showers, some quite heavy, but the weatherman was predicting another favorable weather pattern so I called my hunting sidekick and made plans for a single afternoon of calling. There was a 20% chance of rain to end early Thursday morning, w/partly cloudy skies in the afternoon and 15 mph wind. Figured the coyotes would be hungry and anxious to get out and catch a fast food snack after the rain.

This trip also had a secondary mission; since our last trip was cut short, we had put the jeep up without resolving an air bag light/alarm problem. I had worried this past week that the mothballs I keep under the hood had dissolved and I had a rat chewing on the wiring. I’ve seen the damage a rat can to a wiring harness and its not pretty.

Well, I shoulda stood at home! We drove to the ranch in a blinding rain which did slow down a bit shortly after we arrived, but drizzled for an hour and forty five minutes thereafter. How do I know to the minute how long it drizzled? Because that’s exactly how long it took for us to break into my truck which mysteriously got locked with my only set of keys, rifles, rain coat, 2 sets of jeep keys, cell phone, and oh, my raincoat inside. We were both soaked!

I always carry an extra set of keys, and even thought about it before leaving home, but reasoned “we will only be there for a short afternoon hunt so no need for the extra keys”. Suffice it to say, that thanks to a set of homemade shooting sticks, and a my pocket knife, we managed to get in the truck just as the rain stopped and I’ll take the truck to the shop to have the driver window molding replaced next week.

When we finally got around to checking the jeep, we found that the mothballs were still intact and no wiring damage had occurred. Still don’t know why air bag light came on, but I’ll just ignore it, as I do the seatbelt light, and we did find the fuse for that pesky alarm horn so we pulled it and called it fixed.

We finally loaded up with enough time to make three stands before dark. I must have missed a couple of showers on radar last week, because it was obvious that the ranch had received a LOT of rain since we had been here. Many roads were under water cutting off access to many of my favorite spots.

Even the Lechwe (swamp dwellers) had moved from their usual habitat out into the roadways.

And it’s still drizzling off and on!

Settled in on the first stand and didn’t bother to put on my rain jacket, since I was soaked already. I started the call and almost immediately caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Turned out to be this half drowned coon who was just about as wet as we were. He was walking down the road just 15 ft. away and didn’t have a clue we were there. I lip squeaked and he immediately turned toward us, stopping just 5 feet away. Poor little guy was just about as wet from the rain showers as we were.

Nothing else showed any interest so we decided to move as the mosquitoes had found us and were about to carry us away.
Then I discovered the right rear tire was almost flat. Since the jeep is so light and I have sealer in the tires decided to take a chance and keep hunting. Our luck took a change for the better and we managed to finish two more unproductive stands with enough air remaining to get back to camp and air it up.

Well, the weatherman isn’t always right! Guess you could say we got………..

lol.gif

I think we may wait a few weeks to see if the sealer did it’s job and we still have air in that tire, though.

Regards,
hm

Back