Unusual results (but good)

g Bo

So here's how it happened.
Hiked into to the foothills this morning in the dark. I set up in a honey hole I've killed at before. I put the shockwave about 50 yards away in the bottom of the draw, I was facing west. As the sun came up and things lightened up it was high anticipation as I watched things slowly come into view as it got brighter buy the minute.

You've been there the sounds of the morning in springtime. Birds making there various sounds, a distant coyote howl, and yes of coarse the constant buzzing of spring and summer Mosquitos trying to find a spot of bare skin to feast on.

It was finally light enough to see so I started with some distress sounds, I went through almost everything I thought would and should work. 30 then 40 minutes went by nothing. It was one of those stands when I first started calling I just knew I would be over run at any minute. Well it didn't happen.

I got up to pack up and leave and thought, Hey! My wife isn't expecting me home for a couple of hours so I left my call, pack and everything except I just took my gun, sticks, binos, rangefinder, and a mouth call. I walked about 100 yards up and over the ridge behind me. Sat down in a great spot with a good view of a big grassy valley. Sat still and watched for about ten minutes hoping to see something moving.

I pulled out one of my Tony tebbe calls and let out a howl and a couple of barkes. A coyote stood up across the valley (about 280 yards away) I put my rangefinder up got the range, raised my gun onto the sticks and couldnt see the coyote anymore. It was hard to believe it could have disappeared that fast. It was on a sunny hillside. I scanned the entire area with my binos, nothing 10 minutes passed. I finally let out another howl and I saw a coyote pop his head over the top of the ridge across the valley above where it had disappeared ten minutes earlier.
I ranged it at 328 yards took my time squeezed the trigger. There are few things as sweet as hearing that 60 grain Vmax "THWAP" sound from a suppressed shot hit a coyote. It disappeared. When I hit something that far away I always hang something on a tree or a brush so I can range back to where I was sitting when I took the shot. That has helped me find many a dead coyote when I get to where I think it would be laying. I kept walking down the ridge and ranging my coat and when I kept the arc of the 328 yards I walked right to it. Sure made it a good morning to see the male coyote that dropped instantly.

Anyways you all know this time of year is tough so any coyote is worth sharing the story. I guess what I learned is don't give up easy, and follow through on your gut feelings, they may pay off!
Keep sharing your stories, I read them all

Great story, g, and congratulations on a good shot! That's some good lookin' terrain ya got there.

Rangefinders are great aid in locating a downed quarry. They've sure saved a few for me over the years.

Regards,
hm

Well thought out words describing your hunt there Gary... You need to write-up more of your hunts... I dig that configuration on your RRA...

What kind of optics are you running there?

Thanks for sharing your hunt;)

Great story! Good picture, nice shootin and way to go on trying something a bit different and getting results. Did you play any vocals on the first stand before you moved over the next hill and killed the yote?

Back