Turkey hunt coyote

gracie2fish

I went on a turkey hunting trip with a few buddies on opening weekend in Rockbridge county. One of my friends had recently purchased 80 acres with a mixture of open fields and timber at the base of a mountain. We all showed up around 4:00 and set up camp, gathered wood, etc. We decided to wait until 7:00 to go up towards the timber to try to roost a bird.
I grabbed my ar and my foxpro because we had planned on calling after the sun went down. We walked up to the edge of the timber and were looking across a open field with a small creek. I ranged the opposite hill at 330 yds and got out the call. It was still too early to call because I didn't want to scare off any birds so I just put the rifle on the sticks and sat there.
Two minutes after sitting there I see movement on the opposite hill and couldn't believe that a coyote had just walked out into the open. I lipped squeaked and got it's attention but the front half of her was behind a bush. No shot. She started off down the creek so I grabbed my hand call and let out some low squeaks. She was down in the creek and I could not see her but I never saw her come out the other end. Frantically scanning I finally saw her and she had crossed the creek trotting up the field towards me. I put the scope on her, let out a bark and boom. DRT just under 200yds.
IMG_2219_zps9ayt1lp9.jpg

The next morning was just as awesome because I called in a 20lb bird for my buddy. This was his first turkey and he hammered it after getting to see it strut around for a bit at 20yds. Great trip and one that I will remember for a long time.

IMG_1282_zps8tx2bczq.jpg

Last edited:

Nice job 2fish. Rockbridge is indeed some pretty country. I deer hunted there for several years until the private land sold.

Back