Decoy/trapline dog experts. Need a favor.

Bobcat77

Hello everyone I am needing some help and though someone here might be able to provide it.

I have an Airedale that I use on my trap line. I also use her to hunt coons.

Last October she was picked up and taken to an animal rescue group. I had a heck of a time getting her back from the rescue group. They lied to me about having her and put me through the wringer. I finally was able to get them to come clean and give her back.

I was contacted yesterday and a special prosecutor has been assigned to the case, and is going to press charges.

He is requesting a written assessment of the value of my dog.

Now I wouldn't take 10 grand for her, but that's not realistic. I would place the value of her at between $2000.00 and $3000.00 dollars.

Is there anyone here that is an expert in the field that could provide me a written estimate of her value?

If someone could help i'd be forever in your debt.

Thank you!!

Corey

Here is a log that I made of when she was gone.

Background. Jazz is a spayed Airedale Terrier that I have owned for aprox. 6 years. I was given her by Bruce Rhoades of Brooklyn Iowa. Jazz is my farm dog, and I allow her to have the run of my farm for the fact that we raise many different kinds of fowl, and Jazz keeps the coyotes away. I do not keep a collar on Jazz as she doesn't generally leave my property, and I didn't want her o get hung up in a fence with a collar on.

Last Sunday afternoon 10/12/2014 at around 5 pm I noticed that Jazz wasn't following me to help me do chores which struck me as odd. I have an 80 acre farm, that has CRP, pasture and a timber on it. I figured that she was probably off exploring on my property and would show up later.

Monday morning came, still no Jazz I leave for work at aprox 6;45 each day. Usually I see Jazz as I go to my truck to leave, I generally give her a belly rub at that time. By this time I knew something was wrong. As time allowed me at work I would call every local vet, humane society, and rescue group that I could think of. At this time I also called Hearts United for Animals in Auburn Nebraska to see if they had her. The lady that I talked to whom I believe was co-founder Carol Wheeler told me that they had not taken an Airedale in, I thanked her and gave her my contact information in case Jazz showed up.

I also started posting on various Facebook walls trying to find her.

As soon as I got home Monday evening I did my farm chores, and then started searching for Jazz. I drove the rock road ditches, and the hwy ditches on my 4 wheeler thinking that maybe she had gotten hit by a car. I didn't see any sign of her.

On Tuesday 10/14/2014 still no sign of Jazz as I left for work. I worked the day, and after work I left to head to Nebraska City with my wife and daughter to watch my son Hunter play Jr. High Football. I returned home around 8:30pm, did my farm chores then I grabbed a flashlight and spent an hour or so looking around the windbreaks and sheds in my farmyard for her. I thought that maybe she had gotten sick and went to a quiet place to die. I did not find any sign of her.

Wednesday 10/15/2014 I received a phone call from a lady in Pawnee City who is a RN at the local hospital, she relayed to me that she had relation visiting from Arizona. On Sunday they saw an Airedale on the Hwy at the Hwy 8/50 intersection at aprox. 1:00pm. They noticed that a light colored Buick Century had a man that was trying to call her off the Hwy.

After receiving this information I made lost posters for Jazz, and my wife, kids, and I began to distribute them around to various towns.

Thursday was uneventful in the hunt for Jazz, that was until 3:00pm. I had left work to run to the bank to cash some money orders. My phone rang, it was a lady from Dawson Nebraska. She had seen my Facebook post, and called to tell me to check Hearts United in Auburn. She went on to tell me that she had volunteered there on Sunday 10/12/2014, while she was working she overheard some other volunteers talking about a beautiful Airedale that had just been brought in. I told her that I had called up there on Monday 10/13/14 to check, and was told that they didn't have an Airedale come in. She seemed puzzled by this, and was positive that she had heard correctly.

Upon my return to work I called Hearts United, no one would answer the phone. So I jumped into my truck and drove up there. When I got there I first approached a woman whom I recognized as Carol Wheeler. I asked her if they had an Airedale turned in, she said no. I then told her of the volunteer that had overheard that an Airedale had come in on Sunday the 12th. She told me that a Labra doodle had came in on Sunday, and it had went out the same day. I asked to see records of what came in on Sunday, she said they didn't keep records. I have worked with the public for the last 25 years, I feel I am very good at reading people and their body language. I felt confident that she was lying to me. She ended up screaming at me then she got in her car and left.

I went in the office and asked to be shown around the complex to verify that Jazz wasn't there, they agreed and a man named Johnny Adams took me up and showed me around. I felt that he was hiding something too as he made a halfhearted attempt to show me around. I did not see any sign of my dog as I searched the complex. As I was leaving I stopped my the main office and told the reception lady that I wanted to talk to the manager. She told me he was gone, I asked for his cell number and she said she was not allowed to give it out. I told her to call them on their phone, that I wanted to talk to him and wouldn't take no for an answer. She dialed the number and gave me the phone. No answer. I left her my contact information and told her to have him call me as soon as he go their on Friday!

On Friday 10/17/2014 I came to work as usual. Around 10:00 am I placed a call with the Nemaha County Sheriff Dept. I talked to an officer Casey Moyer. I told him the story of Jazz, I also told him that I had went there the day before and felt they were lying to me. He assured me that he would follow up, and expressed they have had numerous complaints of Hearts United taking peoples dogs in the past, but had never been able to prove anything. Also I never did receive a call from the manager.

Around 12;00 noon officer Moyer called me back, he told me he had went out there and that Carol Wheeler when asked if they had taken an Airedale in told him no! He asked to look at records and once again was told there were none. He told me there wasn't much he could do at this point, I thanked him and hung up.

After work I ran home to get my chores done so I could go to my sons High School football game. I did chores and headed in around 5:45, as I approached the Nemaha River bridge on the south edge of Humboldt I received a phone call. It was a young man from Iowa, he relayed to me that he was the one that picked my dog up on the 12th, he was worried that she might get hit on the Highway. I told him thank you, and asked where he took her. He told me he took the dog to Hearts United by Auburn. He handed the dog over to Carol Wheeler around 3pm. He also said he had called there on Wed. the 15th and Carol Wheeler told him the dog had been claimed and was gone.

I called the Sheriff Dept. officer Moyer wasn't on duty, but I was able to talk to another officer Lt. Johnson. He listened to my story and said he would go out and talk to them, after he called the young man that took her there and heard his end of the story. At around 8;30 officer Johnson called me back, he relayed that he had talked to Carol Wheeler, when he asked her if she had taken in an Airedale she told him no. He asked her the same question again, and she said no again. He said are you sure, and she said yes. He then told her he had a witness that would testifly in court that he had picked up my Airedale, and taken her to Hearts United. Carol Wheeler was the lady that he handed her over to. She finally came clean and told them my dog was in Lincoln Nebraska. The officer told her to have it back down to Auburn Saturday morning.

My children and I went up to pick her up around 9;30 am on Saturday morning. She acted funny for awhile, but I believe she might finally be coming out of it.

This is how I recall the events between 10/12/2014 and 10/19/2014.

I've dealt with a lot of rescues in the midwest for years.
What happened with you and Jazz in just weird.

Makes me sit back and wonder about that rescue.
I've heard of them but never dealt with them.

Yes it was a bad deal for sure.

I've heard a lot of rescue group stories since its happened and it sounds like its kind of common place for them to do this type of thing.

Sounds as if Ms. Carol Wheeler is about to get her comeuppance!
thumbup.gif

Glad you got your dog back.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Bobcat77Yes it was a bad deal for sure.

I've heard a lot of rescue group stories since its happened and it sounds like its kind of common place for them to do this type of thing.

Actually I haven't heard many bad stories about rescues.
But there are a few of them that are a little iffy.

I would have someone leak this to your local news media. They eat stuff like this up. Mrs. Wheeler would have some PUBLIC explaining to do and it might help the prosecutor stay a little more focused on the case.

Originally Posted By: jcs271I would have someone leak this to your local news media. They eat stuff like this up. Mrs. Wheeler would have some PUBLIC explaining to do and it might help the prosecutor stay a little more focused on the case.

I approached our two big state newspapers, and a couple local TV stations....they were interested until I told them who did it. After I mentioned her name they all dropped contact with me immediately. She is pretty well connected!

You should also be talking to your personal attorney. We had a very similar case happen in my area.He was able to get reimbursed for the dogs that the rescue took. It bankrupted the rescue and the lady in charge. Almost cost the Humane Society a bunch of money too. It'll be easier if you have a guilty verdict in criminal court first, but you probably still could at least get the word out about what kind of sleeze ball she is.

I don't think I would have any ground to stand on since I was able to get my dog back.

Don't worry, I have been getting the word out about them!!

Back