Had a funny feeling...

sendit223

A couple of weeks ago I stopped by to see a rancher who wants me to kill his coyotes. I know many don't call this time of year, but this is what he wants done so I don't argue.

I was on my way somewhere else, so I stopped by on the way out and the way back after a few days. The trip out yielded a sighting of a nice coyote, but he either winded me or had heard my song and dance before. All he gave me was a good look, a few steps, and a few minutes of his time at about 500 yards. He was down this draw.

On the return trip I hit the same spot, but in approaching the canyon I had to break wide through the field to play the wind. Half way there I got that funny feeling I was being watched. Dropping to one knee I got on my scope and caught this stinker peeking above the high grass.

All I could see was his head as he was curled up in the field soaking up the sun. He was in no hurry, so I ranged him at 230 yards. With my rifle on my shooting sticks I made the slight holdover adjustment and touched one off. Pffffft......CRACK! No sight of him, so I figured it was a good head shot....and it was.

The rest of the stands weren't productive, but I did catch sight of two coyotes working together to hunt pheasants on my way out. One was in the drainage and the other was on top to catch the runners. It wasn't their first rodeo as when I stopped the truck to watch they high tailed it. Guess I'll have to go back and finish the job.

Sendit

Nice shooting!!!
thumbup.gif
Some nice country too.

That looks like parts of Morrow County (Oregon), my stomping grounds. I had my last track meet of the season today, so I'm coyote hunting in the morning. I hope we're not hunting the same area, because I don't think I can compete.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Redleg84What's mounted on the bottom of your handguard?

That is the new Garmin VIRB camera. I was testing it out. Much like a GoPro it's not for long distance shooting. I didn't know if I'd have a close up charger or not in that draw, so I brought it. So far I like it because it is very easy to use and the pic rail attachment is decent. There's one big button to push to instantly have it start recording from being off, so that's handy for what we do.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Don't you just love Suppressors!!
Yes I do!

And yeah that country is beautiful. It's easy on the eyes and makes even a blank set of stands a good day.

The coyote was a nice bonus.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: sendit223A couple of weeks ago I stopped by to see a rancher who wants me to kill his coyotes. I know many don't call this time of year, but this is what he wants done so I don't argue.

I was on my way somewhere else, so I stopped by on the way out and the way back after a few days. The trip out yielded a sighting of a nice coyote, but he either winded me or had heard my song and dance before. All he gave me was a good look, a few steps, and a few minutes of his time at about 500 yards. He was down this draw.

Sendit

Thanks for sharing your hunt & great pictures.....especially liked the view above. I think I can almost see that coyote coming up the gulley.
wink.gif
That's a real treat for a flat-lander!
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Thanks for sharing your hunt & great pictures.....especially liked the view above. I think I can almost see that coyote coming up the gulley.
wink.gif
That's a real treat for a flat-lander!
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Coyotes have been killed and missed in that draw over the years. Usually they pop up in the bottom on the main cattle trail or on the left hill. This one was killed directly behind me up top on the flat field. I was lucky to spot him, and I'm still not sure why I stopped to look around. Just a funny feeling I guess.

Awesome hunt, shot, and story. Very well done. Beautiful country for sure. Wish I was somewhere similar. Stuck here in Michigan watching it drizzle rain.............that's okay we need it.

Back