pounds of trigger pull on a Mossberg model . . .

swimmer

Anyone know the approximate trigger pull weight of the Mossberg MMR Hunter model, as it comes from the factory? Also, can a gunsmith SAFELY get the factory trigger smoother and down to about a #4 lb. pull, with a trigger job?
Thanks guys

standard mil-spec triggers are in the neighborhood of 7-8lbs.

If you are even slightly competent with mechanical things you can get your own trigger down to 4-4.5lbs by swapping the factory trigger springs for JP yellow reduced power springs ($12 or so) and adding a set screw in the grip screw hole to adjust the creep out of trigger.

Here is a link for the set screw mod, I skip the part about removing metal from the rear end of trigger arm. Instead I simply adjust the screw up the the point it pushes the trigger into the saftey(while safety is on of course) then back the screw out slightly so as you rotate the safety to safe and fire, you do not feel resistance from the trigger. When on safe, there is almost zero trigger. In the link, they say the screw costs 50 cents but at my local macs they are 10 cents. Also, I prefer to take my grip screw in with me to match the threads. I have picked up the wrong thread before due to them being in the wrong bin.

$0.50 trigger job

Or if you prefer to spend a few $ more, Joebob offers a replacement grip screw with a built in set screw. I have no idea how they work as I have never used them.

I'll second the motion for JP Yellow springs plus a 37cent screw from a hardware store (just bought one last wknd at local Ace Hardware - guess I'm overpaying at 37cents).

The JP yellow springs are simple to install. Push out the hammer and trigger pins, replace the springs on the hammer and trigger (pay attention to their orientation, if you're not familiar), then put the pins back in place. Some guys have a lot easier time installing the trigger if they remove the safety selector first - which only requires removing the grip screw, followed by pulling off the pistol grip and dropping out the selector detent and spring.

Pick up a 1/4"x28tpi x 1/4" long from any hardware store, then cut about 1/4" off of the grip screw. Blue loc-tite to hold the set screw in place. You screw the the set screw into the grip screw hole with the selector in the "Safe" position until it lightly pinches the trigger against the selector. Verify function of the disconnector by pulling taking the safety off, letting the hammer down gently while pulling the trigger - then hold the trigger rearward and reset the hammer to re-engage the disconnector, then release the trigger. If the disconnector doesn't disengage the hammer and let it fall to the sear, you'll need to back off the set screw until it DOES disengage.

It goes very quick and easy, and will produce a 4-5lb trigger from a Mil-Spec trigger with very minimal creep - all for about $12.

Last edited:
Back