New Semi-Custom AR-15

Chris.K

Well, I used part of my quarterly bonus to build a new AR-15. I started with a RRA 20" HBAR upper from Joe Bob Outfitters. I removed the FSB and hand guards and took a chance on the 15" UTG Pro Super Slim Keymod rail. I gotta say, this rail is GREAT so far, VERY impressed with both the quality and fit and finish, and the no alignment barrel nut.

The lower is an Anderson Mfg stripped lower with a DPMS parts kit and a RRA NM trigger (which feels great). The stock is an ACE Skeleton stock.

Finally, I've got a Leatherwood CMR scope and SWFA SSALT mount on the way for optics.

If I had to do it over again, I'd try to get a pencil or government profile barrel instead of the HBAR just for weight savings. Naked it is running around 7 lbs 7 oz, which isn't bad, but its a tad front heavy. The balance may improve once I mount the scope. I was hoping SWFA would get the scope out in time for a range trip this weekend but I don't think that's going to be possible.

FullSizeRender_zpsn27ecrki.jpg

I'm already planning my next AR build, an SPR-style rifle that, I'm hoping, I'll be able to keep under 8.5 lbs with optics.

nice stick.

i've got a couple of the UTG handguards, but not the keymod ones. they feel very nice in the hand and i'm with you, that no-index-required mounting system is the cats meow

Good to hear about the UTG handguard, been wondering about them. It looks like the one you used is 15" if that is a 20" tube. If you built that with just part of a quarterly bonus I think that you should probably try to keep that job.

Last edited:
Back