Preferred scope magnification for coyotes

Second focal plane, some of the mk4, the mk6 and mk8's are ffp.

If you'd like front focal plane at a decent price with well known reliability, the weaver tactical 3-15

Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1-4x20 on a Rem R15 Carbine.
This is a Wisconsin calling coyote gun..rarely in central or northern WI will you get a shot over 300 yards, and many times if you are hunting in the woods or thick stuff the shots will be real close, so up to 4x is good enough.

My .243 Tikka and Browning Abolt both carry 3-9x40's.

I've always preferred 3x9x50.
And, unless I just couldn't get a coyote to commit closer than 200 yds for some reason, I have always kept it dialed down to 3x.
Generally, when they hung up that far out, I have a second to dial it higher.
Plus, I have never (willingly) taken shots that were over 250 yds. For what that's worth, hahahaha.)

If you want to shoot long range coyotes or carry both a rifle and a shotgun I would go with a 4-12x40 or something like that. If you try to call them in close and only have a rifle go with a 2-7xsomething. I say a 2-7 power because I use a 1-4x20 and would rather have a 2-7 power.

2.5 or 2x needs to be your low at night...daytime coyote you can go to 4x on the low end.

I tried the two gun tactic but most of the time my shooting is fast. All depends on your setup.

I like 1x4x20mm on my combo guns as the 1x is great for moving or even flying critters with the shotgun side and 4x is plenty for coyotes out to 300 yards with the rifle side.

On bolt actions it is the 1.5x6x40mm as most of my preds are killed under 100 yards and it is a rare shot over 300 yards.

I do have one 22-250 set up with a 2.5x10x40mm for open country that I seldom even take out anymore. The two times I took it out to open country this year I killed both dogs under forty and the scope never got off 2.5x.

Last edited:
I usually use a 1-6 on my AR but recently decided to change things up a bit. I have a Nightforce shv 3-10 that'll be here Tuesday that I'm going to throw on there. I personally wouldn't go higher than 3x on the bottom end, in fact I hope I don't find the 3x too high.

I do have a 2-10x42 scope ordered as well just in case lol

Have a 3-12 on the small AR, and had a 1-6x24 Firefield FFP Mildot on the big AR. Don't like being that low magnification, especially for the weight of the scope.

4-16 or 4.5-14 is what I have on most of my calling rigs. I also have on 1-4 and a 6-18 but they only get used rarely. I have also used an eotech with a 3x magnifier. While it was good out to the 200yd range I could not get use to it. I always start out a stand on the lowest magnification. You can always turn it up if needed.

Back