Got one on camera.

boss

Been hunting this spot for 2 seasons now with no luck. It's a smaller tract with pretty dense cover. I've heard them howl once or twice over the last 2 years, but haven't had 'em come in to the call. Probably busted me long before I knew they were there. Most shots are less than 50 yds. Our season is 24/7/365. Guess I'm gonna give it a try this week at night. Normally I quit in late March. Coyote

Follow up report. Ended up calling at Sundown to about 45 minutes afterwards. Tried pup distress and then fawn distress. The owls started talking as usual. Tried a lone female howl right at dark and had what sounded like an entire pack answer within a mile to the South of me. Gave it another 20 mins and tried pup distress but nada. Was hoping to get up early and try it again between 0330-0430, but couldn't pull it off. The one on camera was at 0330ish and all the ones I've seen where I live have been between 0330-0430 with one daytime exception. Seems to be their preferred time at least around here.

rpc55 What are you using for your scent post? I haven't tried that yet. I've thought about baiting, but have to double check the regs on the legality of it.

Originally Posted By: bossFollow up report. Ended up calling at Sundown to about 45 minutes afterwards. Tried pup distress and then fawn distress. The owls started talking as usual. Tried a lone female howl right at dark and had what sounded like an entire pack answer within a mile to the South of me. Gave it another 20 mins and tried pup distress but nada. Was hoping to get up early and try it again between 0330-0430, but couldn't pull it off. The one on camera was at 0330ish and all the ones I've seen where I live have been between 0330-0430 with one daytime exception. Seems to be their preferred time at least around here.

rpc55 What are you using for your scent post? I haven't tried that yet. I've thought about baiting, but have to double check the regs on the legality of it.

Baiting coyotes is legal in Va. 29.1-521. "To knowingly occupy any baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild bird or wild animal or to put out bait or salt for any wild bird or wild animal for the purpose of taking or killing them. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that a person charged with violating this subdivision knows that he is occupying a baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild bird or wild animal. However, this shall not apply to baiting nuisance species of animals and birds, or to baiting traps for the purpose of taking fur-bearing animals that may be lawfully trapped".
Coyotes are defined as a nuisance species.
If you heard a pack you should have moved in closer to them. "within a mile" is a long ways. I would have tried to get within 3-400 yds and called to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding the code 1trkyhntr. Our property consists of 5 year old pines with a high voltage power line right of way. I could've gotten to within a half mile or so, but it would've put me on the banks of a swamp/river and 10 yards off the road. With all the rain we've had recently the swamp/river are full of water. Not an ideal set up, but I guess it might be worth a try next time. We did turkey hunt the next morning, was hoping a 'yote might show up, but no luck. You're using thermal if I'm not mistaken? That would be awesome, but my wife might change the locks on me if I purchased that!

Back