DREAM HUNT PLEASE HELP!

hunterED

So I am interested in a hunting vacation for lack of a better term. I have spent last several years being unable to hunt as much as I would like due to school and jobs I worked incessantly to pay for said school. I recently got admitted into my dream professional school and will start at the end of July. Meaning my time to hunt will only decrease in the future.

This summer I would love to take a trip that involved hiking, hunting, and camping for 3-5 days depending on travel required and costs. I have recently become addicted to coyote hunting due to being able to hunt them year round here in Alabama. I also believe I would enjoy hog hunts.

So here is my ultimate question. Where could I go that has the following things:
1) a high population of coyote, hogs, or other animal that I can hunt during summer months
2) open land where I wont have to worry about hunting in the morning, then hiking/hunting/even fishing all day, before setting up camp that evening
3) not cost an arm and leg. I don't mind travel expenses to get there or similar costs but I find it crazy to pay several hundred a day to hunt varmints which is all I've been able to find doing a quick search of google.

There has to be some way to find land that is overrun with varmints that an intelligent gun owner, with a love of the outdoors, could help do some population control on while catching up on some much needed time outdoors?

Please let me know any and all ideas I'm ready to start planning a trip just thought I would look for insight here as well! Thanks in advance!

Either of those places would make for a nice trip. The problem is I have no idea how to get in touch with a farm or large landowner who would love help with predator population control. Not sure what I would be able to hunt other than predators during the summer either?

Well Arizona has coyote hunting year round, along with mountain lion, bobcat and other predators. There are plenty of coyotes in this state and you would be surprised at how many mountain lions and bobcats, along with bears, roam throughout.

In a number of areas, you can hunt predators 'daylong' meaning 24 hours. All you need is the basic hunting license for coyotes, bobcats, fox etc., and if you want to hunt mountain lions, it's an additional $14 for a year long tag. But you are limited to 10 lions, per person, per year.

You can pretty much camp anywhere in Arizona for free, you just have to move your campsite every two weeks (so people don't just park trailers or tents year round) to a different location. Great country, some beautiful areas to include desert, mountains, ponderosa pine, waterfalls, lakes and more.

If you drop the hog request and just focus on predators such as coyotes, fox, badger, and raccoons you'd open up a lot more opportunity for yourself. In fact you can hunt any of those in Montana without a license. You could even throw in prairie dogs, gophers, rock chucks, rabbits, squirrels, and porcupines. Plus hunting in the summer time like that it's likely you'll see your share of rattle snakes, and I would love it if you killed every one of them.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rdmcnh69...
In a number of areas, you can hunt predators 'daylong' meaning 24 hours. All you need is the basic hunting license for coyotes, bobcats, fox etc., and if you want to hunt mountain lions, it's an additional $14 for a year long tag. But you are limited to 10 lions, per person, per year.

Is this correct? I've heard the same thing but according to AZGF the season was shortened (closed May - August) and there's a bag limit of one?

From the AZGF site:

Quote:The hunting season in Arizona allows unlimited tags with a bag limit of one mountain lion per hunter per year. Occasionally, bag limits are increased in limited areas for the purpose of management or research.

As of 2006, lion hunters are required to present their lion to the Arizona Game and Fish Department for inspection. In 2007, the hunt season was shortened from year-long to being closed from May through August.

@rdmcnh69 that is pretty much exactly what i had in mind. I assume your talking about public land? Ill have to look into the regulations and such like @Redleg84 pointed out. As far as what im looking for that sounds pretty close to what I would want though. Open country with lots of predators sounds like my kind of heaven!

@Ursus21 the hog part is not really a request more like an idea of something else to hunt to increase the chances of having a successful hunt. I have only recently fallen in love with predator hunting so it is my main desire. I really just wasn't sure of anything that would have an open season during the summer months other than hogs and predators. However prairie dogs would fit my purpose as well. I would just like the chance see plenty of game and have successful hunts whether that be coyotes, hogs, or prairie dogs.

Still looking for good input? Anyone have any ideas to find some land someone needs cleared of coyote or varmints?!

Last edited:
@jetman that looks right up my ally and perfect! I will have to make some calls to find out the local regulations ect. but that may be the ticket. Thank you very much for the suggestion! I just needed something like that in order to plan a trip so thanks again!

Edit: I read that fast and thought it was in Missouri.. still looks great just slightly farther away from the southeast than I thought. I would have to fly and I've never tried to fly with hunting gear(rifle, ammo, cooking gear, and knives)?

Last edited:
Back