Coyote Hunting in Wisconsin

I live in S/E Wisconsin my big problem is where I hunt its shotgun only. Most communities in my area dont allow rifles. I hear them everynight and see alot on the roads. But between the use of lights at night restrictions and shotguns only its tough.

The one crew I know of in Taylor County has just over 50. There must be a lot of shooting when those yotes bust out across those fields!!!

that blows me away.

leads me to a question...what is the coyote population in the state of WI? coyote per square mile? I know it likely varies widely across different areas of the state

I suppose the dog runners have had ideal running conditions this year in different parts of the state.

Don't know about coyote population, that varies by year and area. I do know hound guys are doing pretty well in my area this year though. Just another obstacle for those of us calling to work around. What frustrates me is when they release hounds on a track on state land, and in the course of following that track go through 5 different pieces of private property they don't have permission on. Most of the time the guys stay on the roadway, but the hounds run anywhere the track goes.

I really don't have a problem with them killing coyotes on land they have permission, but flushing them off private property with the hounds drives me nuts. Happened to places I hunt a few times this winter already.

We get the same situation with bear hunting. Very often while sitting on my private land bow hunting, bear dogs come through. Not good for whitetails.

Why is it that dog runners cannot run bear in the southern part of the state but they can run coyotes? I thought one of the reasons that dog running for bear isn't allowed in Zone C is because there are not the huge tracks of county, state, and national forest public properties like in the nothern zones.

I have no moral or ethical issues with taking coyotes by the use of dogs, however I have also seen the issues previously stated with the runners....

Good point. We do have large tracks of land along with small tracks of land. It bothers me because the small tracks of land owners pay their fair share as much as the large tracks of land owners.

Made two sets last night between 9:30pm and 11:30pm. Nothing seen or heard.

The dog runner coyote pole had about 8 new ones on it and my son told me that when he was heading into town he saw their trucks and they had 15 or more in the back yet to hang up...

I have mixed emotions about this..I'm very happy that they are getting the coyotes because as a pheasant and deer hunter this really helps those species..but at the same time I'm trying my hardest to get just one coyote under my belt this year and having to compete w/ the dog runners I think is making it extremely difficult.

Where can I go to hunt in SE Wisconsin Milwaukee? Obviously I am willing to travel I have heard about Kettle Moraine if so where in the park is good public land? Are farmer friendly here for Predator hunters I don't actually hunt deer. Anyone interested in pairing u let me know I am on vacation so ready to go!

Interesting topic about running dogs in southern WI. I know a lot of people run dogs on coyotes in northern Sauk and Richland counties as well as southern Juneau county. Some have no regard for property lines which is unfortunate. I admire houndsmen a lot for the way they get their dogs to work but I also would like to see them respect property boundaries which I know is hard to do when the hounds are locked onto an animal. I have gone up and asked people if I could call their property and most will say no and immediately complain about dog hunters running their deer off and disturbing their livestock. I tend to say thank you for your time and move on.

Back