ZERO TOLERANCE for "FERAL PIGS"

This one ?

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=1187788#.VT5lCrfwuM8

ISHPEMING TOWNSHIP -- Brandy and Tony got Caesar the miniature potbelly pig two years ago.

"He instantly became one of us, he cuddled and slept in our bed," said Brandy Savelle, Caesar’s owner.

"Just like another dog," added Tony Gervasi.

They recently had a baby and have been training Caesar to be outside. Last Thursday, they posted on Facebook that he was missing. They began searching and found some of his footprints leading to blood.

“When I followed the prints and saw where Moose (her dog) was it was like a puddle of blood, at first I didn't believe it,” said Brandy Savelle. “I just started screaming for him."

The Department of Natural Resources regularly does patrols through rural areas. That Thursday, their officer came upon a pig on state land and according to law, they can shoot pigs because of their ability to carry disease and damage property.

"It's important to say that while it’s not unusual to see a pig and shoot it,” explained Peter Wright, District 1 law supervisor for the Department of Natural Resources. “What was unusual was the fact that this turned out to be a pet."

The DNR believes that their officer acted justly because he believed Caesar to have been a feral pig and he had no identifying marks to distinguish him as a pet.

"I want to make it very clear that it's never ever, ever the department’s position that we want to shoot people's pets,” said Wright. “If he had any inkling it was a pet he absolutely wouldn't have shot it. But at that point he didn't know that and he was just doing his job."

"To just shoot without identifying the target, I don't think that's what they should be doing," said Tony Gervasi.

Caesar's body was taken to the United States Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services to be tested for disease and after will go to Michigan State University for diagnostic testing. Brandy and Tony are still looking for answers for their loving, friendly, and food loving pet.

"We just don't want it to happen again,” explained Savelle. “If it was that big of a mistake then we would like to see better training. Let's learn to identify not just pigs, but all pets."

Last edited:
"We just don't want it to happen again,” explained Savelle. “If it was that big of a mistake then we would like to see better training. Let's learn to identify not just pigs, but all pets."

Just how f'in stupid can a person get?

Put a collar on your porker and don't let it run wild, moron.

JPK

In our state, the law is that who's ever land it is that any pig is found on, the owner of that land legally owns that pig (this does not for for cows, goats, horses, etc, just swine only).

Owning a pig does not give you the right to running loose on state owned property either. This is completely the owner of the pigs fault, no one elses.

Guilty as charged, "Book Em, Danno! Swine in the First Degree."

Somewhere I read that the pot bellied pigs are GREAT eating. If you let your pets/livestock run free then you should expect this to happen eventually.

Hello,

I know I just joined this forum today and thank you for approving my registration.

I live where this story happened in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources officer was completely justified on shooting this feral swine.

Rules for Shooting Feral Swine
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_55230-230093--,00.html

The owners unsuccessful attempt to blame the MI DNR for the shooting of their pet pig was amateurish at best. If the owners would have controlled their pet pig better and this never would have happened.

Andrew

If it would have been a dog or cat (even though I hate cats), I could understand them trying to argue it...but a pig?! Don't let your bacon roam free while unmarked. You figure if they loved it that much they woulda had a collar on it. Wasting tax money on "piggy ID" training is as dumb as not keeping up with you outdoor pet pig that you don't want getting shot.

Shelton

Two things jump to my mind.

Any pig that is not in bed cuddled up with someone is feral as far as I'm concerned.

And I would expect a pig that smart would have said something when it got busted. I hope there are no livestock riots there now.

Is it possible that pig was just going to town for Skittles?

Originally Posted By: RedfrogTwo things jump to my mind.

Any pig that is not in bed cuddled up with someone is feral as far as I'm concerned.

And I would expect a pig that smart would have said something when it got busted. I hope there are no livestock riots there now.

Is it possible that pig was just going to town for Skittles?

X2
It would take weeks to clean up all the straw after that riot. No to mention all the burned hog confinements.
tt2.gif

An unidentified animal is fair game and could be potentially a threat to the community. A simple ear tag identifying it as livestock or pet is all it would take and incidents like this may be prevented. The owners need to realize this. Running loose down the back roads one can only assume its a feral animal. The dnr here are professional people and are instructed to eliminate feral pigs. Should the animal not been shot, it would have disappeared to one of the predators looking for a meal .

Back